Qt3 Comic Book Wednesdays 4/22/09 - Issue #3 (Gaiman on Batman and Vikings, oh my!)

FWIW, I’m generally not that into superheroes either. I didn’t get into comics as a kid and have no attachments to any of the traditional comics. I’ve been a huge fan of Moore and Gaiman and to a somewhat lesser extend, several others (Ellis). I’ve gotten some exposure to the traditional stuff in recent years but generally don’t have any attachments to that stuff. I love Walking Dead and Astro City, as a matter of note.

Invincible makes me swoon. I only buy the trades as I prefer to read in larger chunks than what I can get in a comic.

I’m getting Scalped and DD. (And my book, natch.)

I recommend that everyone check out the Ted Mckeever library and that Shadowline/Image is releasing. Especially Eddy Current – it’s awesome, awesome stuff.

Just came back with this week’s books (Savage Dragon #147, Buck Rogers #0, Viking #1, and Detective Comics #853) plus Proof #18 (heard it’s a good place to jump on plus the back matter is not in the trades of which I have the first) and Planetary #1 (After Watchmen edition as I wanted to see what the fuss was about before I got the trades).

Only read Buck Rogers so far (it’s only twelve pages) but I thought it was good enough for me to pick up #1 in June.

Read this week’s comics:
Savage Dragon was okay. Nothing really wrong with it other than it didn’t feel like it pushed the overall plot forward much.
Buck Rogers was good. I’ll read issue #1.
Viking was pretty damn good even if the beginning was pretty confusing. What a gorgeous book.
Detective Comics #853 by Neil Gaiman however was the best fucking book of the week. Goddamn, it was so PERFECT. Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is up there with Battlefields: Dear Billy as the best I’ve read this year.

I’m probably missing some important point, but Detective Comics wasn’t quite as awesome as I hoped. It was beautifully done, both the art and the writing, but I was hoping it would actually reveal more than it did, or offer some twist. There was actually a little more novelty to some of the more fleshed out stories offered in the first half (especially Alfred’s) than what we got in the conclusion.

Part 2 of the Azrael Battle for the Cowl series is pretty good, and I’d recommend it to anyone following the main Battle for the Cowl, which I’d recommend to anyone keeping up with Batman. Not that you need one to enjoy the other, but if you like one, you’ll probably like them both. And catching up on #2 of the Oracale mini that I missed last week, it’s ok. Not bad (Man-bat), but not a must read. Also, I know the current rumor is

SPECULATIVE SPOILERSDick will be Batman and Damien will be Robin, with Tim being Red RobinEND SPECULATIVE SPOILERS

But I think it’d actually be a great fit for the characters if Talia got her wish and Damien ended up as the new Azrael. It seems like a great fit for both characters.

New Avengers was pretty good. It’s hard to decide how I feel about it exactly though. On one hand, the last two issues have been a little better than the series has been in a while, but on the other, I’m getting a little more bored with it with every issue. I could use an issue or twelve that aren’t at least 50% Avengers talking in the kitchen.

Kick Ass was better than I expected, but obviously still laughably late, and I’m sure it’s not going to convert any Millar haters.

Iron Fist was pretty great, and the new artist (well, not really new, the guy who took over when Fraction stopped writing) has grown on me a lot from my initial complete dislike. Seems to be slipping in scheduling though, and I heard conflicting reports about whether the series will continue past this arc.

The Wolverine one-shot was good stuff, congrats William. On one hand, through no fault of William’s, it’s not an essential Wolverine story and it’s not like it’s hard to get your fill of him these days. I certainly would’ve passed without the heads up, but I’m happy to support you people I pretend to “know” and William made it easy to enjoy. Great work!

I haven’t read X-Force, Astonishing X-Men, Street Fighter IV (which I buy mostly for the art anyway), the BftC: Arkham 1-shot, or Avengers Initiative yet.

I stopped in to my LCS and got Scalped, Jack of Fables and Hellblazer. Also, I bought the Wolverine book, cuz I like to support QT3 comic book writers… Sadly, I don’t care much for Wolverine, so I’ll probably give it to my kid. And based on the glowing recommendations, I picked up the first trade of Invincible, Family Matters. Off to read it now.

Please report back to us on Invincible. I kind of wish you pick up the Ultimate Collection instead as the first trade is mostly setup (well Invincible as a whole is mostly setup but it’s such juicy setup and when it’s time the setup always pays off).

Wolverine is everywhere, no question. But I’m glad you dug it. (And thanks to everyone that picked it up.)

So I looked up Kieron Gillen and found that he’s the writer on the Phonogram and Suburban Glamour series. I’ve heard great things about those series from iFanboy (and I believed I watched an interview of them with you and Jamie). Pretty cool, I’ve been interested in Phonogram for a while now. Definitely picking it up now.
And I saw that William Harms writes Impaler which is a series I’ve also been interested in. I skipped the Wolverine issue but I’ll definitely pick Impaler up.
Not to mention, I still haven’t picked up Lutes’ Berlin series.

Berlin is awesome. And I dig Phonogram, too.