Qt3 Games Podcast: Days Gone, Forza Horizon 4, One Finger Death Punch 2

What’s wrong with skinny jeans?? I have like 20 pairs.

Finally listening today. Tom, do you really think Bend Studio is in Eugene?

PS: Did you and Jason keep playing? Because you talk about opening the second half of the map, but that was only the second third of the map!

Uh, not anymore. :)

I actually knew there was more down there from the way the map shows topography even if the features are whited out. The map screen itself is a spoiler!

But I’m afraid I haven’t touched it in a few weeks, but not for anything specific to Days Gone. I just haven’t booted up any videogames lately. Besides Two Finger Death Punch 2.

-Tom

Understood. I will say that at the place you and McMasters were at when you recorded your understanding of the game is incomplete, to say the least. It gets quite a bit crazier, and the last third of the game are in a lot of ways the best, and most interesting part, while also being crazier and glitchier than anything that comes before.

For now, I will say I take issue with the way you both described the second time they show you the flashback of the intro. The whole point of that scene with the business dude who lost was to show that Decon’s plan wasn’t to sneak in and take him out like you might expect, but that his instinct was to try and talk him down. When that fails the guy still only gets shot accidentally as they wrestle over his gun.

I won’t disagree that there are a lot of cutscenes that are clunky or awkward. And the way the game has to load so often to play a cutscene is extremely detrimental to the experience. But I do think a lot of the flashbacks are a lot more interesting and subtle than you’ve given them credit for.

I’m at the beginning of the next map at this point, hoping to finish up pretty soon. I’ve had a good time with it. I think Deacon is just a kind of person that I wouldn’t actually like in real life. That’s probably an issue of mine, but he is also written weird in some places. I overall like the others though, like Iron Mike and Tucker. Interesting side characters.

They have Ditka in the game??

You know, it’s unlikely but it could be him

I don’t really get why people get wowed by Last of Us’s story. Naughty Dog’s strength isn’t story, it’s in-game character interaction. You want a good story game, play Hellblade Senua’s sacrifice. That’s a game that actually has story pacing, but Naughty Dog? It has very video game pacing in that the game can’t go 10 minutes without killing some guys. Probably because the devs are too scared about the players getting bored. And in the story itself, there are at least 2 or 3 major story points where two characters have a very heated discussion, and at the end of the discussion they’re in disagreement but hey guess what? Bad guys are coming. Gotta kill some bad guys. Then after the murder fest is concluded, the character who was in disagreement has now changed their mind and is agreement again. That’s how Last of Us characters think things through. Murderin’ fools.

Also as a nitpicky problem, the world isn’t believable. Game’s set decades after the apocalypse, and the zombies you find in the world aren’t doing anything. Just sitting there until you need to go past. And yet the world is still overrun with them. How do the zombies perpetuate themselves if they aren’t self-sufficient? No spoilers but look at 28 days later. Zombie apocalypse? fine. Post-apocalypse? Nope.

Also the game’s cover should have featured another female character if you know what I mean. The biggest story reveal in the game is spoiled by the cover.