Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: our favorite auditions

Zero Theorem, Waco, Raw, and Thelma. Then we talk about our favorite audition scenes besides the one that should be everyone’s favorite.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/04/03/qt3-movie-podcast-3x3-our-favorite-auditions/

Jennifer Lawrence had an audition in Red Sparrow that was ruined when her partner had performance anxiety and walked out.

Waiting For Guffman, “Raging Bull” scene

What a maroon. I’d at least have the courtesy to leave her disappointed and underwhelmed after the fact. Because I’m a gentleman.

I chose Hardcore specifically because I wanted to hear Tom read the Big Dick Blaque quote. Today I feel blessed.

Also, my apologies for Dingus for picking a deleted scene. I struggled a little as I desperately tried to avoid choosing the audition scene from Takashi Miike’s Audition, because obviously somebody was gonna pick that.

Just one of the many reasons why you are a national treasure.

Apology accepted, Captain Needa. Your pick gave me the chance to poke at Tom a bit, which is always welcome.

I was surprised nobody brought up Audition too. @fire and I talked about that the day before we recorded, but I forgot to talk about it during the show. I assumed one of those other two would bring it up.

-xtien

“Kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri.”

I didn’t have anything for you this week, but I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we’ve passed the audition.

Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble. Tres bien ensemble.

-xtien

I just have to say that this made me laugh so hard this morning that it deserves a…

17353144_10154527958807865_8390930327570756207_n

-xtien

“Every human being is a puzzle of need.”

Does it really have to be a single person for the 3x3 next month?

Nah…

When someone else writes it, it’s not technically me saying it!

Well, the actual audition scene is pretty underwhelming, isn’t it? Especially compared to the rest of the movie.

And, yeah, I couldn’t very well support Dingus’ complaint about picking a deleted scene when I spent the first hour of the podcast talking about a TV show.

Passed the audition? You don’t pass auditions! You pass tests. You’re just trying to help Kellywand cover for his Men in Black pick.

-Tom

It’s one of those scenes that is almost unbearably dull the first time you see it, but beautifully establishes the characters. Watching the protagonist really lean into his infatuation based on almost nothing simply because he’s a lonely idiot brings me a great deal of pleasure.

Kellywand. The Judge Dredd of the podcast.

-xtien

“Defense noted.”

A while back I gave a brief little rundown (with screenshots!) of the movie containing my number three pick, The Swinging Cheerleaders. As with the Dallas Cowboy thing Kellywand mentioned, the cheerleaders and jocks turn out to be not so bad after all.

Isn’t there an audition scene in Bring It On? I made a few references to it in my email thinking that it was a no-brainer. Like when Kirsten Dunst was on my list for Favorite Cheerleaders, from the motion picture Marie Antoinette.

I hope there is a job interview 3x3 some day, because I came across many great picks for that. As did Kelly with his Men In Black choice.

– Chris Webb

If I was on patrol I would definitely let slide any pick that involved Parker Posey reaching “peak levels of human adorableness.” I believe I tried to do an all Posey 3x3 submission one time, but only went 2 for 3. I was about to say that now I need to see Waiting for Guffman, but apparently this scene isn’t in the movie, so never mind. (Kidding! It’s on the watch list.)

It’s funny that you say that. I have a friend from Indianapolis who texted me the say of the show to day she was, “Excited to hear our interview 3x3.” I said it was actually auditions, and she said, “Oh. Of course. I forgot you put that in your letter.”

You better believe I got out my notebook and put “interview 3x3” in there. We’ve had Interrogations, but I don’t think we’ve had interviews.

Of course, since Kelly thinks trying out for a sportsball team is an audition, who knows.

-xtien

Hey @marquac and @crispywebb . I was surprised to see this when I watched The Producers this week.

-xtien

“You think you are the #1 Dad?”

Good eye.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is the one rendition of The Producers that I like.