Qt3 Movie Podcast: Destroyer

Contrary to what you might think from the movie poster, this is not a zombie movie.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/01/23/qt3-movie-podcast-destroyer-2/

I can’t believe you guys hate Steve Miller Band.

I thought it was Pink Floyd.

-Tom

That’s ok because @Jason_McMaster thought it was Van Halen.

I prefer the Dire Straits.

-Tom

EDIT: These are quotes from a movie you can’t see. :(

I thought it was 38 Special.

-xtien

Kentucky ROUTE Zero

Very good movie. Kidman’s squinty Dirty Harry impersonation worked. Jk. But of course he must have been a ref. Good Opsis also and yr discussion helped me clear a couple of moot points I had with it.

Almost didn’t notice that this is out in theaters over here now, but some friends did, fortunately. Glad they did. Spoilers below.

If you look at this movie from a distance, it’s not overly original - it’s one more dirty-cop-redemption story. Upcon closer inspection, you’ll see it’s executed superbly. Kidman is terrific, of course, but it’s not like the rest of the cast aren’t doing their job either. It’s a testament to the script and editing that you come out with a very clear concept of what her character is without there being too much exposition. We see Ethan only thrice or so, but even the few glimples are enough to give you the idea of how that relationship was and why it ended.

I liked the cinematography as well, and there were plenty of shots to ogle at, e.g.how they shot Erin’s pain–after she had crashed the car–when it sinks in that Chris is dead, or that zoom at her determined face as they are about to open the door to the bank heist. I didn’t expect the movie to have a full-on action scene like that, and it was nicely done. The music and sound design were great, too. Not in your face - simply very effectively done.

The non-linear element of the movie caught me by surprise, and I dug that it wasn’t done in a dundundunnnnnn-TWIST! way, but something that simply made you re-assess the beginning of the movie.