Qt3 Movie Podcast: Extraction

He was also in Bloodsport 2.

No way! That can’t be Bernhardt. He’s so young. It’s gotta be his son or something. :)

What a lovely find, Marquardson. He’s got a James Franco kinda thing going at that age.

So the 2nd extraction, had even less plot than the first, or so at least it felt that way while watching it.

I’m 45 minutes in and this is by no means a good movie, but it knows exactly what it is and damn if it isn’t dedicated to being the best possible version of that. The whole prison through train sequence is an absolute roller coaster and i dont know how the movie can sustain this for another hour plus.

Spoiler: it can’t : (

Yeaahhh…

Honestly, I think the best edit of this movie is one that ends on the plane 55 minutes in. Hotel sequence was not as good as prison/train, but still okay. The final action scene was just kinda bad.

I thought the the sequel is better as far as the action goes. It knows that nothing will top the CoD level in Act 1, so Act 2 and 3 levels are different, and different enough to be interesting.

Reminds me of Taken 2 compared with 1.

Yeah, this one was an odd film for sure. The first movie had their incredible fake oner action sequence, but the end firefight the bridge and was still darn good thanks to the Rake and Saju frenemy team-up and the dynamism of the outside forces (Rake’s team and the corrupt general’s dudes) showing up to spice things up. This movie loses a lot of steam once the train sequence ends because there’s nothing to really care about outside of that.

The final fight was a letdown afterwards. Rake and bad guy just punching each other out in a church with some scaffolding scattered around? Blah. I feel like I’ve seen that fight setup a thousand times.

Also, more Golshifteh Farahani, please! I kept wondering where I’d seen her before, so I had to look her up. It was Paterson by Jim Jarmusch with Adam Driver co-starring!

Ah, of course! Excellent connection, @Telefrog! That’s precisely where I know her from:

I just stupidly figured she was from Citadel or something like that, but I had it in my head that I’d seen her actually acting and not just standing around during an action sequence. I’m so glad you made that connection for me!

On the train level, she has one of those typical knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth scenes against three (maybe four?) heavy troopers who have just been introduced as the Next Level Threat and the choreography is absolutely ADORABLE for how the three (maybe four?) stuntmen obligingly let this willowy 90-pound woman block their punches and deflect their stabs and lift them off the floor and slam them onto the ground and throw them around the cramped walls. It’s a really cute inter-gender dance of pretend aggression that she can’t quite pull off no matter how much Sam Hargrave and the three (maybe four?) stuntmen help her. She has none of Theron’s cold fury or Pataky’s stocky resolve, but hoo boy, her hair is always fantastic.

Also, it’s kind of funny that she friendzones Tyler Rake while the audience tries to puzzle out whether he’s a widower or merely a divorcee.

This scene in particular for me: