Qt3 Movie Podcast: Extraction

I guess that settles any ambiguity about the last scene in Extraction. #RAKELIVES, bitches!

-Tom

That’s one of the weirdest trailers I remember seeing. My thoughts, in the order I had them:

• This is what they’re trying to turn into a franchise?
  • I assume from the hashtag that the name of the hero was Rake. Do they seriously expect that anyone at all still remembers that?
  • Wait, is the the entire trailer just trying to justify how a sequel is even possible?

Extraction is a weird foundational movie for this. Considering they’re trying to build a brand on “cinematic universes,” you’d think they’d have baked in more useful Marvel-y hooks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-23/marvel-cinematic-universe-hollywood-calls-russo-brothers-for-their-movie-worlds

“We have a really uniquely accomplished creative team that can not only imagine but also execute at the greatest scale and scope,” says Jason Bergsman, AGBO’s chief executive officer. “Our goal is to launch new franchises that drive audience engagement for years to come that extend across film and TV, as well as digital and interactive experiences.”

And they brought on Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the writers of Winter Soldier , to join their nascent company. “I don’t know many companies that have a screenwriting team as owners and as long-term committed partners,” says Bergsman.

Since its formation, AGBO has turned franchise creation into a kind of science. For each project, AGBO taps a writer to be the lead creator of the emerging world. The writer then works with AGBO’s team to develop the so-called bible, a richly detailed outline of a fictional universe, including characters, settings, and plotlines that serve as the foundation of future works in the project.

AGBO borrows from the Marvel playbook, Russo says, but not too much. Marvel creator “Kevin Feige used to always say, ‘Well, we can’t make the next one until we make this one a success,’ ” Russo says. “But conversely, if you aren’t planning for it from the start, you make a movie, the movie is successful, and you’ve lost momentum.”

#RAKELEAVES

#butdontburnthem

I’m still giggling.

Thank you.

#DONTSTEPONRAKEORYOUKNOWWHATWILLHAPPENIFYOUVEEVERSEENTHETHREESTOOGES

-Tom

It is complete total cop out that he lives after the bridge.

See but they implied it with the profile shadow shot at the end of the first so it’s ok, see? /s

The important info - Extraction 2 scheduled for June 2023:

Sweet. I really enjoyed the first one.

Me too. It would be a pretty generic, yet solid, drug cartel action movie BUT they moved it to India and that one small change elevated it, IMHO.

I don’t normally watch previews, but I couldn’t resist that one. I just spoiled a couple of really great sequences from the movie for myself. D’oh!

OTOH, I got to pump my first right now. That kicked ass.

I think I played that level before!

It’s like watching a Call of Duty campaign playthough.

There’s always a train level.

Extraction 2 either has the least effective bulets or the most effective body armour ever portrayed.

@Alistair, I wonder if that is the new solution to the storm trooper aiming problem. Now they can hit their target, but body armour makes sure the hero doesn’t die.

I loved the “one-take” action scene in Extraction 2 for how it raised the stakes and was willing to wrassle with some really challenging choreography. They sure did aim high and they pulled off one hell of a sequence! But hoo boy, I could barely make it through the rest of the movie. Once it goes back to the conventional editing and splicing/dicing/intercutting, I just lost all interest.

That said, I still get a thrill out of seeing Daniel Bernhardt. They didn’t give him much to do, but he got some nice face time. I think I’ve decided one of the reasons I like him is that he’s basically a towering and totally jacked version of David Strathairn. That soulful hangdog quality was a big part of why he was so perfect in the Ronnie/Lily episode of Barry. Whenever there’s a casting call for “fatherly karate master/stoner”, Bernhardt’s your guy.

He was also awesome, as usual, in the Bus-Fight-w/-Bob-Odenkirk-movie.