Qt3 Movie Podcast: Hunter Killer

Ever wonder what would happen if Gerard Butler was in charge of a submarine?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/11/12/qt3-movie-podcast-hunter-killer/

I was quite surprised that I enjoyed this movie. Having written into the podcast I like it less after having listed all the problems I had with it, but in the theatre, I was quite happy with the movie, despite the fact, and I am totally with Dingus on this, that it’s not a very good movie.

Kellywand, I also wish the movie had more submarine stuff. For me, the sub stuff was the most interesting. Dingus, I’m glad you mentioned the leaning back when the sub started to dive, I thought that was a great moment. I hope that actual submariners do that. When the movie is finally released on video, I’ll make a gif of it and ask @Navaronegun if they if actually do that.

I found it kind of funny when the Russians are being picked off from the tree line and none of them decide to try and return fire. Instead they are content to just get picked off one by one.

Tom, I liked the scene with the destoryer’s guns and the missile. It would have been nice if it would have been protrayed more realistically and happened further away from the boat.

My over/under for Butler podcast movies would be:

Over: London has Fallen
Under: Den of Thieves

They aren’t closely bracketed since I really liked London has Fallen and really didn’t like Den of Thieves, except fo the part that I talked to Dingus about.

Gladly! Should I see it or will it just make me angry and ranty @marquac and @ChristienMurawski ?

Sounds like someone should just see this again?

Maybe that should be the real marketing campaign?

Why See this Movie? Just Rent Ice Station Zebra! It’s Got McGoohan!!

I liked it, but I do think it’s not a very good movie. I would say that you should wait for it to come out on streaming so that if you aren’t enjoying it you can just turn it off, rather than spend the money in a theatre and feel obligated to watch the entire movie.

Thanks, Marq. You always watch out for my Blood Pressure.

I generally try to see the weekly movie before listening but man this one is a really tough sell.

I was dreading it as well @dmspra08. Maybe my low expectations actually helped me enjoy the movie more.

He kick someone off the sub by claiming “THIS IS SPARTA”?

Ah. So that’s the real reason the explosion appeared to come from the inside. Good to know!

-xtien

“I don’t like coincidences.”

Saw this is in at the Red Box, gonna give it a go tonight!

Just saw this one…I cant believe how it oscillated between great and b movie in EVERTHING! Half the cast was great, and the other half shlock, the story flipped between b movie and a great action flick. It also managed to avoid most clichés, and a few other times it twisted the clichés into something not easily recognizable unless you thought about the movie too much. This was a very odd and yet ultimately enjoyable movie.