Qt3 Movie Podcast: In the Earth

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: In the Earth
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When May 30, 2021

Ben Wheatley is back in fine form after his brief detour remaking obscure Hitchcock movies!

Read the full article

Hey, that really happened! Someone posted that clip on another forum many years ago.

Onto the rest of the episode…

Ooo, from the director of Free Fire! I’m gonna have to sleep on this episode until I have a chance to see it.

Ah, right, that’s the version that I thought was from a pre-interview. Thanks for making it concrete, @cornchip. That’s hilarious that it was actually on the air. It’s still not the classic “that would be in the earth, Bob” construct from the urban legend, but it’s close enough.

-Tom

I listen to the Qt3 movie podcast, but this post just makes me want to check this episode out.

Great opsis substitute. I love Tucker.

My favo(u)rite woods horror is Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

Surely I’m not the only person who looked at the picture and thought, ‘Oh no! Tom grew his hair out and had some kind of horrible eye injury while camping!’ And if you guys talked about this on the podcast then my bad, I haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet.

Matt Hooper is my favorite arborist!

Whoa, now that you mention it, I can kind of see the resemblance. That’s kind of freaky. On the podcast, I think we established that Kellywand was the Martin Lowry character, but now I know which character I am! Can I show you guys these cool photographs I took to honor Parnag Fegg?

-Tom

Great recommendation on The Men from Porlock!

Quick thing about a scene, I’ll spoilertag it just in case

the toe removal was completely unnecessary. For one, as you guys mentioned, why the toes if the sole is infected. But also we see Zach prepping the rubber sandal (he cuts off parts of the top at the tip of the shoe so the bandaged up toeremains fit through) for Martin before he even looks at the foot. The camera does not focus on the bandaged up foot with the croc on, so it’s a blink-and-you-miss-it detail, but it’s there

I do remember the scene of him cutting the croc, which I think introduces the saw blade that Alma uses to escape. I’m still puzzled by Zach’s sadism, though. I get that he’s crazy, but it struck me as odd that he was also being so cruel. Besides the fact that he was the antagonist in a horror movie, of course.

-Tom

when he’s shown sewing something (I think those tarp costumes), I expected him to make a necklace out of you-know-what.

Maybe it’s part of the ritual, some sort of liturgy that has people go through a horrible ordeal to prime them for contact, but it would have been nice if that had been established. Maybe it’s visible in one of the illustrations?
Then again, there’s a line later on, I’m paraphrasing: “you might think he’s human, but he’s not”. And wtf was up with that human effigy made of twigs?
I am still thinking a lot about this movie, which is a good sign, but I can’t tell if I like it or not. Pretty sure it’s good though

If you want more Shearsmith I’d recommend the TV series ‘Inside No. 9’ from the BBC. He co-writes and acts with Steve Pemberton (ex League Of Gentlemen), each episode is a different story, usually darkly funny and with a nice twist. My favourite one is about the crossword setter and the classic ‘Sardines’ which is about the child’s favourite party game that goes badly awry. They’ve been doing the show for years, 6 series and 30+ episodes so loads to catch up on.