Qt3 Movie Podcast: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Poe and Rey first met at the end of the 2nd movie and they’re the main characters of this trilogy, so what did you expect? :)

To be fair, Poe was originally not going to survive the first movie. They turned it around when Oscar Isaac turned out to be a helluva charismatic guy.

Yeah, I knew about that. More over, I can’t see it being a problem. Original cast has almost zero shared screen time, because that’s not their trilogy. New cast has almost zero shared screen time in TLJ, because the director used supporting characters to move them forward.

As I mentioned above, I completely loved the movie, so I was very surprised by the subsequent reaction of Star Wars fans. I mean I could understand why prequels apologists didn’t get it, but it seems like the movie is very divisive among all the fans.

I’m in the camp that is convinced the Lucas had no idea that Vader was Luke’s father when he wrote Star Wars. I’m not convinced at all that he even had a vague idea of Episode 1-3 when he wrote it. I think he stuck Episode 4 on the front so he didn’t have to explain back stories. The movie equivalent of cutting the first chapters from your book as a standard editing routine.

Which is fine, if Star Wars had flopped it would stand great on its own.

The Secret History of Star Wars goes over all of the contradictory statements of what was planned and what was not – it’s a good read for trying to decipher who thought of what and when.

ETA: The kindle version is 9.99

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/0978465237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514305862&sr=8-1&keywords=the+secret+history+of+star+wars

@tomchick - I haven’t seen Nocturnal Animals but that was interesting Laura Dern commentary. For me, it felt like she was getting ready to go to a party in Panem but hadn’t done up her face yet. But otherwise was completely out of place in the movie she was in.

Is it better than this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Star-Wars-Definitive-Original/dp/0345494768/ref=sr_1_1?tag=qt3-20

This was a good source for learning about the construction of the original trilogy too.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Screenplays-Laurent-Bouzereau/dp/0345409817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514323464&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+the+annotated+screenplays

In short, sure, Lucas had vague ideas for movies before and after Star Wars (later retitled Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope). But Episodes 4, 5, and 6 were written, rewritten, and produced one at a time.

The best and earliest example of a movie trilogy written as one plan is the Lord of the Rings movies, and the earliest example of two sequels produced together is Back to the Future 2 and 3. And I suppose the best movie and one sequel planned and produced together was the Richard Lester version of the Three Musketeers. Though I’d love to hear about prior examples, and if you think that serials count as movies or not.

my god, I literally just made an account to express how terrible and off the mark your opinions are on this - and yes opinions can be wrong, like yours quite clearly were, sorry to break it to you. TLJ is genuinely a great film, coming from someone who couldn’t care less about star wars, this made me actively take an interest in a universe that used to seem juvenile, appallingly written and just plain offensive sometimes (thanks to hollywood’s greatest hack george lucas). The acting was wonderful, the arcs were thoughtful, so much character development that i loved and stunningly shot (some of the most breathtaking scenes ive seen in film, not just blockbusters). Not heard a single credible reason from people who hated it. Liking this film is fast becoming my litmus test for people who have good taste.

Edit: Also JJ Abrams getting praise over Johnson is downright mind boggling

I really don’t understand what drives people to create troll accounts.

sounds like you havent had much experience with actual troll accounts

Well, you’re up to 2 posts, so I’m sure I’ll gain experience for as long as you last.

that’s great. pay attention and you might actually learn something

Not from a dullard. You’re about 20 years behind.

Visually stunning…stunningly shot… Visually stunningly shot! Brilliant!

As opposed to figuratively just making the account, right?

-Tom

this is how millennials talk, get over it.

Yep. They also use absurd hyperbole and puerile attempts at derision to belch about what they think is the greatest of the 17 movies they’ve seen.

put down the thesaurus and focus on recognising a good film when you see one

This thread is productive.