Qt3 Movie Podcast: The Beekeeper

When it comes to bees, the latest Jason Statham vehicle gives us a lot to think about. While Statham does the hard work of administering punches, we ponder the implications of beekeeping as a metaphor for world stability. What have we learned and how can we make this world a better place for bees and people? Listen and find out!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2024/02/13/qt3-movie-podcast-the-beekeeper

Trailer for this, I have been so busy I forgot it was even out already.

Well, I was not a fan of The Beekeeper. I don’t think I could come up with anything good to say about it, except that I am now going to get to listen to a Podcast about it.

Ha ha, you saw The Beekeeper. :)

You watched The Beekeeper twice??? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I stepped right into that one, didn’t I? You win this round, young @marquac!

I couldn’t believe it either. Intervention time.

That opsis made it more than worth it though. And now, @KellyWand, I am watching Spy again because you reminded me of several very funny moments.

Whew, thank you Kelly. That was well worth it.

Tom, did you know that Phoebe Waller-Bridge was initially supposed to play Mrs. Smith? I really can’t picture the show without Maya Erksine.

Holy cats, that would have been…something else. I mean, I probably would have enjoyed it, even in the aftermath of Dial of Destiny (that was a real ding to Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s brand as an action hero). But it would have been very different from what we got and, yeah, Erskine’s deadpan sarcasm, papered-over vulnerability, and no-holds-barred emotional pugilism were all fundamental to what made the series work so well for me. I especially loved the early episodes where she’s simply not taking any of Glover’s “ooooh, look how charming I am!” bullshit.

Hmm, as a newly hatched Erskine fan, I guess I need to track down Pen15 on Hulu next?

Glad to see my Atlanta evangelism is paying off.

Yes, I am so indebted to you for that! I think you pointed me to it after I burbled enthusiastically about Zazie Beetz from the Maisy Day episode of Black Mirror. And the rest was history!

Watched this for the pod

man oh man, it’s been a long while since I’ve seen a Statham movie, but they haven’t changed much, have they?
I agree with Kelly here, it’s so stupidly written that I could not help but chuckle at the dialogue and presentation of the characters. Including apparently completely incompetent FBI agents if the obvious connections Verona made - which were delivered to her via Clay’s rampage…? - are more than an entire team can come up with. SO stupid!

Would have liked more creative kills though, unfortunately the creativity is wasted on a hornets nest.

I listened to the opsis. Then watched the movie. When Statham got to the dramatic reading of line “anything alive won’t be” I nearly died laughing - perfect opsis-ing setting that up!

Thumbs up from me, this was one of the better Statham movies I’ve seen in awhile.

I’ll listen to the podcast over the weekend, and see what the Qt3 film experts have to say. :)