Qt3 Movie Podcast: the ladders 3x3

Before we take the next step toward discussing this month’s 3×3, we talk about El Bar, Beirut, and Blockers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/08/27/qt3-movie-podcast-the-ladders-3x3/

The crappy picture I took shortly before the above moment:

Oh, movies?
This physical bit:

I haven’t listened, but, whatever you thought of Blockers, I hope Geraldine Viswanathan gets her due.

-C Dub

You’ll have to listen. :)

“I don’t want any married men” - Kevin Costner in The Untouchables.

I liked your picks, @sinnick.

OMG, the story image is from the scene I meant to write in with. Nicely done.

Also, if Lara Craft can turn a ladder into a bridge to get across a chasm, then it stands to reason that Indiana Jones can turn a bridge into a ladder. Just saying.

THAT’S IT! I knew it was Costner. It was driving me nuts that I couldn’t place it. I’m such a dork.

Well done, sir.

-xtien

“I just happened to be there when the wheel went 'round.”

Well this may not be from a film, but it is the greatest ladder scene in the history of recorded video. You’ll never find better comedic timing than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhMfzc9RbU

I’ll meditate on my real choices.

I’m pretty sure that Everest had ladders being used as makeshift bridges. I’ll see if I can get a screenshot.

Now that you mention it, I’m almost sure you are correct, Chris. Again, I’m a dork, and I was thinking about that dopey movie Cliffhanger.

-xtien

I really like that picture. Was this an independent show? Seems like you had a decent seat and view of the ring.

Regarding Blockers, I was disappointed when I first saw it in a theater, but I rewatched it at home a few weeks ago (needed another Viswanathan hit) and I came away liking it a lot more. Besides all the obvious people, I really like–and this was true even on the first viewing–the guy that plays Connor, Miles Robbins. Perfect portrayal of a guy you hate, but who you can also kinda understand why a horny girl might wanna fuck him. They’re a great comedy team.

Added to my Favorites!

It was a show put on by New Japan Pro-Wrestling in July. They’re the second biggest wrestling company in the world after WWE, but really it’s like if A24 was the second biggest movie studio. (So basically what will happen in five years when it’s Disney and a bunch of little guys.) They’re trying to establish California as a new territory outside Japan and this was their first show in San Francisco after a couple in LA.

The view was good for the “cheap seats”, and comfortable butt-wise (cushioned!), but not leg and girth-wise (people used to be tiny I guess). Fun time in a historic venue where my grandparents used to watch wrestling and roller derby.

Here’s a little album:
https://imgur.com/a/eBzaRgr

That Jackie Chan ladder fight, broken down:

Another great Jackie Chan ladder sequence, from Police Story 3 (starts 1:18):

Jet Li’s even more awesome ladder fight from Once Upon A Time In China:

And here’s an essential early Jackie Chan list for Tom to catch up on, starting with the more contemporary actiony stuff and ending with the more classical martial artsy stuff:
Police Story 1 and 2
Dragons Forever
Project A 1 and 2
Drunken Master 1 and 2
Snake In the Eagle’s Shadow

Which ones have Michelle Yeoh?

But, yeah, there’s not a one of those I’ve seen. Or would have even been able to name if asked to name Jackie Chan movies. :(

-Tom

None of those, unfortunately, but she is in Police Story 3.

I don’t get “bob wire.” It’s not “barb wire,” it’s “barbed wire.” So it should be “bobbed wire.”

You can make all the Yentl jokes you want.

Also, I cannot believe no one chose the single best ladder scene ever, which is from Andrew Zvyagintsev’s The Return. Turn in all your movie cards, now.

Also, Jacob’s Ladder.

Even though all of your post was gobbledygook, we were with you. Until this. Honestly. This is DLH* and thus beneath you.

-xtien

*Dingus Level Humor

Dingus, if you have never seen The Return then I am sad for you. Seriously. You must see it.

Crazy-level stuff is happening with these tags, here, boys.