Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #1 - Rise of Nations

For the foreseeable future (which, having not even completed a round of the first tournament yet, is not all that far), they’re pretty much going to be RTS games. At some point down the line, that could change, but there seems to be a decent list of RTS candidates readily available and this thread is a spin-off of the “Old People RTS” thread in the first place.

Most of the turn-based stuff already gets ongoing tournament coverage in separate threads (or historically had it), so this is about getting those older RTS games back out of storage, dusting them off and getting in a few matches with people from around the site in a manner that doesn’t require the entire player base to be available for a full Saturday or something like that. That only ever happened once and it was over five years ago, making a more spread-out and relaxed format a better overall fit. Maybe some other genre could fit into the same framework.

Just an obligatory reminder that there are just over 24 hours left for round one. Legowarrior and I are scheduled to play our match in a couple of hours, and other than that I’m waiting on results from Kelan/Tom and Jason/Richard (with the full understanding that Tom has been under the weather for much of the week). Let me know if there are any concerns with getting those matches done, as I assume the best unless told otherwise.

Once the round ends, I’ll upload the replay pack for week one (so everyone has equal information) and advance the bracket.

Just had a great game with Kelan with some nice back and forth, a wicked pincer maneuver on his part, and a whole mess of ill-fated slingers showing up from the Terra Cotta Army during the Industrial Age. Kelan’s Incas refused to let my Egyptians run away with a wonder victory, so we fought it out to a territory victory.

-Tom

EDIT: Results and recorded game sent to the email you listed in the original post, @Otagan!

Tom and I just finished our match. That was a lot of fun and a bit closer than I imagined it would be. Well done, Tom!

Bracket updated. Thanks!

Haha, that was funny! I was browsing around the map and saw like 30+ slingers hanging around the wonder and realized they were auto-spawning there for a while and threw em at your army to try to hold you off.

That game sounds pretty epic; reminds me of my personally most epic game, the first time I played Rise of Nations. It was at Shoot Club around the time of RoN release (or before) and I was playing versus Canadian Paul, who had played it a couple of times at prior Shoot Clubs. It was my first time, so I was learning on the fly, but at that time, I had some pretty good RTS mojo.

I ended up spending a lot of time figuring out the economy and ended up booming massively but falling way behind in tech. Canadian Paul hit Age V and attacked and I was still at Age II. However, I did have the mining and universities to tech up and a truly large economy, so I just converted everything to military production and started teching up.

I lost a city and then my flow of low-tech troops started to slow Paul. I think he took a total of 2 or 3 cities but I founded another 1 or 2 to keep my econ going, transferring villagers to new production. I managed to hold off defeat and Paul decided to mix attacking and teching up, going up to Age VI while still beating on me. He hit a bit of a slow down switching to oil econ, and by the time he was going for Age VII, I was right behind. However, at that point, my economy had been flattened pretty hard and all the military and econ losses I had taken were weakening me.

So I nuked his ass.

A vicious exchange of nukes followed, and with me on the weaker side to begin with, I was pretty much wiped out. Canadian Paul had diversified his production during all this and he still had a military and an economy. He was clearly winning, so I started to build one more nuke, which would trigger a nuclear stalemate. Better to tie than lose.

By this time, the game had been going on for 2 hours and the other Shoot Club guys were mostly watching b/c the game was that epic. I hear people shouting in the other room and then I see Paul’s cruise missile flying in to strike my nuclear silo. He had spotted it before it was complete. I click on the thing and it’s build is winding down to 98%, 99%… I start spamming the launch button just as the cruise missile comes flying in to wipe out my silo. I hear cheering from the other room. Then I see something on my screen and shout “The bird is in the air!”. I had launched my nuke at the very last instant and even though the silo was gone, the nuke took off and caused a stalemate. Greatest stalemate evar.

Richard took this round. Good game, Richard!

Good game McMaster. It could have gone either way.

We had a DC and had to rehost, the replay seems corrupted. Not sure if there’s a solution to that.

Well if I’d sent you the right file we might be in better shape.

@Otagan how should I fix this?

You can just resend it. I noticed the one you sent was from 2009 but haven’t had a chance to look at it yet to find out why.

Despite my initial victory, Otagan takes this round. Only through Treachery! How dare you attack me @Otagan

Those terra cotta warriors were super intimidating. I didn’t realize they were made of clay until I was already across the border.

Your army was SAD! Fake News. Otagan doesn’t even have nuclear weapons.

Oh was it the Terracotta Warriors I ran into when we had our first major battle McMaster? I was pretty confused what units you had there.

yeah, a lot of them

So it looks like the second half of Richard and Jason’s game is corrupted, but the first part works just fine. Here’s the first round replay pack for your viewing pleasure.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/394299971895296031/399069275307900938/R1.zip

I’ll increment the round sometime tomorrow. It’s technically supposed to happen at midnight GMT on Sunday (i.e. 6PM Central for me), but I can flip the switch earlier if enough people are on board. The deadline can still be the same each week, but that way it adds a bit more time to round 2. Any thoughts?

That seems very reasonable to me.

It’s possible that Jason’s copy of the second half may not be corrupt. My game crashed before I could exit cleanly.

sure if folks are all finished, may as well hand out the next assignments, but stick to the original finish date

Watching those replays was… illuminating. Excellent back and forth between Tom and Kelan. I wasn’t able to view the 2nd part of Richard v Jason.

The replays did give me a number of ideas so that’s good.