Quadcopters, drones, and other RC fun

Okay, so it turns out that, for my usage, the lack of Ocusync on the Mavic Air is no big deal. Keeping the drone within line of sight, I’m not seeing my more lag or signal issues than I ever saw with my Mavic Pro, even in a wi-fi saturated area.

The processing is sooo much faster. Taking bracketed pics, HDR shots, etc. is much faster. And man, I love the on-drone panorama stitching. Before I had to use Litchi to shoot a 360 pano, then combine the pictures in Image Composite Editor, load into Photoshop and resize and fill out the sky, and finally change the metadata for Facebook. Now I just copy the JPEG over, tweak two EXIF metadata values because FB doesn’t recognize Mavic panoramas, and upload.

Here’s one I shot today of the flooding in the Snoqualmie Valley right now: Mavic Air 360 Panorama, Duvall, WA

DJI introducing new stuff, i.e. Mavic 2 Pro with Hasselblad lens, timelapse mode, dolly zoom and whatnot.

Does that make everything look like you’re running through surf?

To quote a phrase, that thing is bad ass.

Great, zoom. So my argument that drones aren’t spying because at high altitude the shot of you sunbathing will only be 20 pixels in size goes away.

If I could get the zoom AND the 1" sensor, that would be amazing. But individually, they’re not enough to tempt me to sacrifice the Mavic Air’s smaller size.

Just how small is the Air? The Pro 2 didn’t look that big.

I couldn’t find any stills showing the new Mavic Pro 2 with the Air, but here’s the original Mavic Pro with the Air. The Pro 2 is just slightly larger than the original Mavic Pro.

The Pro 2 is certainly small and portable (particularly compared to the Phantom!) but it was really hard to get the Pro, charger, and batteries into my camera backpack along with my usual travel assortment of lenses. The Air, on the other hand, fits much easier in with my camera equipment.

Oh wow that is quite a bit smaller for sure. I’ve not seen an Air, only a Phantom and Pro. By the way the engineering work to conform those things into practical transformers is amazing.

The UK’s second busiest airport has been shut since last night because of drones overflying.

Still shut! Prime minister now addressing the public on it.

I feel like that could be an excuse used to mask something else? Drones successfully keeping it shut throughout the night? That’s a long time.

It’s a deliberate act.

More than 20 police units from two forces are searching for the perpetrator, who could face up to five years in jail.

Supt Justin Burtenshaw, head of armed policing for Sussex and Surrey, described attempts to catch whoever was controlling the drones as “painstaking” because it was “a difficult and challenging thing to locate them”.

“Each time we believe we get close to the operator, the drone disappears; when we look to reopen the airfield, the drone reappears,” he said.

Throughout the day too. Nearly 20 hours now and they’ve confirmed it won’t reopen for at least 3 more hours.

I mean, I have a few wifi tools I could loan them to help. Triangulation of a wifi signal is pretty easy these days.They could also signal jam it, but that wouldn’t catch the perp.

The US actually has drones that capture other drones.

One day, Charles Dronewin will write a book about them.

Economic terrorism on a pretty big scale. Gatwick has been down longer than it was on 9/11

They have spectrum analysers, anti-drone guns, military involvement but no luck. Drones are in the air for 10+ hours these arent retail kit.

It’s reopened, but still with lots of cancelled flights.

And it’s closed again.