Quadcopters, drones, and other RC fun

Could they use some sort of EMP pulse to fry the drones’ electronics?

Not legally or safely.

How about directed microwaves? Those are used against people sometimes as a means of crowd control.

When I said legally I probably should have said “probably not legally”, I actually don’t know the ramifications and legality of all the different potential electronic countermeasures. But they basically all come with the same risks to safety. They don’t want this thing simply falling out of the sky.

Are they detecting this thing on radar or something? And not actually getting a visual on it?

Because I can’t grasp how they are having trouble dealing with a drone that they actually have eyes on.

Me too. Shooting down is child’s play. So my only thought is they’re trying to find a way to trace it to nab the person and use the experience for future efforts. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Lasers can easily take the thing down.

Virtually anything can take it down. A shotgun loaded with rock salt would take it down.

It’s like you’re literally not reading the same thread I am.

I realize that guy wrote that article, but that doesn’t mean it’s right.

Ultimately, if you are really afraid of something like rock salt hitting am innocent bystander (which seems exceptionally unlikely) then you just use another drone to take it out. These things already exist. They are drones that fire nets… So you aren’t risking a manned helicopter, which I agree would be foolish.

But if you are afraid that you are going to endanger fold from from the drone falling down, well then i guess you lose. Because this stuff will be able to shut down airports forever, for a trivial cost.

At some point you need to just take the risk. This is costing people millions and millions of dollars, right?

Well of course there’s room to disagree about when the risks of all these anti-drone measures are worth it against the damage and disruption actively caused by the drones. I don’t know the answer to that.

But there were three of you acting like you literally couldn’t imagine why they didn’t just shoot this thing down immediately as if you didn’t realize there were risks or limitations to the effectiveness of these countermeasures at all.

Well, some of those countermeasures suggested in that article were clearly stupid… Like sending up a manned aircraft. That was obviously not a viable way to deal with this.

But there are other options which are better than the stuff talked about in that article.

LOL - this.

For what it’s worth, that article wasn’t written well and sounded very speculative. Without another clearer source … who knows.

A man and woman were arrested for the drone flights in the Gatwick area around 10 pm local time, but so far no other information has been released.

Will be interesting to hear what their motive was. Some kind of political statement, or just asses wanting to disrupt people’s lives?

The only additional info I’ve heard so far is that the man is in his 50’s and the woman in her late '40s. This somewhat surprises me. For some reason, I don’t associate this kind of activity with that age group.

https://i.redd.it/j03huwvi84021.jpg

I’m with Yak here, my guess is both. The jackasses also just put a high priority bulletin on every single major airport now in order to deal with this more quickly. When we lose some sort of right or ability to do something at the airport anymore, because you know we will, it will be because of these jackasses.

Plus, if you want to keep foreigners from entering a country, a logical target is an international airport.