Quake Enhanced from Machine Games and Nightdive

So Quake was the name of your character?

Huh. Unexpected.

It’s funny to me now how much the id shooters’ lack of story and groundedness in the real world and real narrative bothered me back when they came out. I really yearned for more story and more connectedness to real worlds and locations instead of abstractness provided by games back then. But now we’ve got all that coming out of our ears, there’s so much of it that going back to these more abstract “pure” shooters is a relief.

Sure, this is actually pretty well-known. Romero wanted to make a RPG.

I think this is why Half Life knocked people’s socks off at the time. But yeah, time and taste are a pendulum…

I’d read about it in Masters of Doom, but it was fun to see the actual promo blurb.

Indeed, I read it too!

I actually attended the DOOM 2 launch party at the NYC Limelight they discuss in the book, I was one of the kids invited to wear DOOM t-shirts and play the game.

Long-ass time ago.

This game stays winning.

Lots of accessibility options have been added.

3 new Horde Mode maps.

Oh heck yeah! Threewave CTF!

Oh that looks very fun!

Now that is cool, boy oh boy did I have some fun playing CTF back in the day. In particular a mod called LMCTF which had the rather cool feature of off-hand weapon use which meant every grapple monkey in the game was also shooting at everything and everyone as they grappled around the map.

I spent a lot of hours in Loki’s Minions CTF. That and Digital Paint and Battle of the Sexes Q2. But LMCTF was the best of the bunch.

I don’t recall playing BotS but for some reason your mentioning it jogged my memory of another one we played a lot called Jailbreak. I found it laugh out loud fun shooting players of the opposing team and having them plopped into jail. Each side had a jail and both could break out their jailed teammates assuming of course they could make it to the jail. Something about the increasing pressure of a bunch of players stuck in jail hoping their remaining free teammates could break’em out built a tension to the ending of each match that was addictive.

P.S. Cool that you played and recall LMCTF, we weren’t a big community but man did we have some fun. Here’s a bit of nostalgia, a video of HD, a clan so much better than everyone else it wasn’t even fair.

Seeing that map was the nostalgia fix for the week lol!
Jailbreak was fun too, had forgotten that one.

I have started playing the second episode of Dwell, it’s pretty good.

Oooooh, Quake 2 Remastered on Xbox seen at South Korean’s equivalent of ESRB ratings.

I’ve mentioned this a few times, but it’s worth repeating that even though I didn’t enjoy playing through Quake 2 on PC when it was first released, I played through the first level again on a modded Xbox, where you could just plop Quake 2 XP disc in the Xbox drive and it worked. But it stopped working at the end of the first level. But the modder’s layer of control emulation that made the Xbox controller feel native was sooooo good. It honestly made the game feel way better than it did on PC, to me. Quake 2 is just a natural fit for the controller.

Never enjoyed quake 2. The weapons felt like crap. Quake 1, quakeworld, and quake 3 arena, those I played for hundreds of hours. Particularly quakeworld.

This is interesting. I was making a bot companion squad to learn about ai bots, and I found the original pathfinding/traversing tools for Quake kind of bad, with the bots easily getting stuck everywhere. walkpathtogoal would indeed be great for many things.

I bought Quake Enhanced on sale this week for $3.00 but ended up using the source port Ironwail instead since it fixes physics bugs at 120 FPS, has nearly 100% mod compatibility, and just plays so incredibly well and looks fantastic compared to my first time with Quake back in the 90s on MS-DOS. Ironwail will automatically detect your steam installation of Quake Enhanced and use its data files. So far I’ve replayed the original Quake and a mod called Crack in the Sky. Can’t wait to see what the best the community has to offer, which seems second only to the Doom modding scene. It feels like a new golden age of gaming for me after being jaded for so long.

Since I recently re-played this after 30 years, I can tell you that you need to go through the portal and “telefrag” Shub-Niggurath, which means you end inside her and kill her by blasting her from within. Unfortunately, it’s actually just a “cut-scene”; once you go through the portal, the player no longer is in control of his actions, the cut-scene plays of Shub being blown apart from inside, your hero gives a brofist wave with his gun, the Congratulations screen comes up, and the game ends. However, I discovered that going through the portal sometimes causes you to land beside her or right into the lava. I don’t know if the game is bugged,. or it’s the source port I used (Ironwail). It was a bit anti-climatic tbh although I rather enjoyed Sandy Petersen’s hilariously deadly traps and monster closets all through the final episode.

As I recall, there’s a star thing moving through the level, which occasionally passes through Shub. Wherever that star is when you go through the portal, that’s where you teleport. You have to enter the portal when the star is inside Shub to telefrag him.

Ah, no wonder it only worked some of the time for me ;) Clever, like the homing missiles of the Vores. I rather enjoyed replaying the entire 4 episodes of the original game this past week. With the minor visual enhancements of the Steam version in Ironwail (I never use HD packs and prefer the lovely pixels when you get too close), the game looks truly great in 4K on my OLED TV and plays like greased lightning at 120 FPS. I remember my original playthrough back in the day being a rather dark, gloomy and slightly choppy affair but the new source ports make Quake great again. I’m currently playing Grendel’s Blade in the Arcane Dimensions mod and it’s a thing of beauty. Puts all other FPS I’ve played to shame.