Quake Enhanced from Machine Games and Nightdive

Ahh, OK then. Quake of course (like all FPS games) has zero inertia. You let go of the movement button and you immediately stop.

I can’t see when you let go of the button, but that looks pretty normal to me. You must be right, every game has a tiny bit of inertia.

Speaking about flight controls with a joystick, I was talking about basically a throttle, where you had not only inertia but a constant forward vector. Those games need a joystick for sure.

In that case, I would say a mouse+keyboard would offer superior controls (for me).

Was it Ultima Underworld where you had to pass through the ice cave? Or was it UU2?

Did anyone have one of these?

I did have one of those orb things, yes! I also had the five finger thingie with a little thumbstick and like a 5x3 keyboard. Both were garbagesauce.

You get to keep all the money.

Wanted one, but I got a chance to see one in person and… I thought it felt cheap. It wasn’t priced cheap.

As much I’m enjoying Quake, I really hope they also bring Quake 4 back too. They’ve released Quake, Q2 and Q3 on Game Pass for PC, but Q4 is missing! Maybe because it was by Raven Software? It’s definitely my favorite game by Raven.

They just released the same versions that have been available for years. They should do a revamped/enhanced version of both - especially Q2.

Oh yeah definitely. Q2 plays really well with a controller btw. I used to play it on the modded Xbox back in the day. And then they released Q2 as a bonus game with the 360 launch game Quake 4. DF Retro reminded me recently that Q2 was the first 1080p60 game on consoles, even though the TVs weren’t out there yet that could handle that.

This weekend I got to the hidden level in Episode 1 with the low gravity. This one was too for me last time, and it is freaking hard on Hard difficulty. Low gravity is tough! But it’s nice to finally get a rocket launcher.

But getting a rocket launcher means I end up killing myself a lot now.

I still remember the shock I experienced when I got into that level for the first time.

Non sure about this. I believe it has a lot of friction so it may fell like no inertia, but really theres some.

else if (pmove.onground) {
		// apply ground friction
		friction = movevars.friction;

// if the leading edge is over a dropoff, increase friction
		start[0] = stop[0] = pmove.origin[0] + pmove.velocity[0] / speed * 16;
		start[1] = stop[1] = pmove.origin[1] + pmove.velocity[1] / speed * 16;
		start[2] = pmove.origin[2] + player_mins[2];
		stop[2] = start[2] - 34;
		trace = PM_PlayerTrace(start, stop);
		if (trace.fraction == 1) {
			friction *= 2;
		}

control = speed < movevars.stopspeed ? movevars.stopspeed : speed;
		drop = control * friction * pm_frametime;
	}

Quake don’t have christian religious elements. The big evil is a H.P.Lovercraft cosmic horror.

Is hard to travel to 1996 due to technical limitations (we don’t have a time machine).

Let me help you out:

You enter Quake, and as soon you start you can heard the whole level (with precise sound attenuation but still), you heard ogress drag the chainsaw, you heard zombie soldier breathing or grunting, doing their patrols, waiting for a enemy to fight. The world is 3D so they can shot at you from any angle, and if is a ogre and are grenades, you are not even safe behind a wall, the grenades can bounce back to you.

Fortunally you have a lot of life so if you move quick and shot good, you can survive most fights and find more ammo, more life.

If you are low of life, then well… you will have to play extra good or hug corners like a coward until you are not, you are healty again and with the backpack full of ammo.

Sound had a important role in Quake1, because it was the “first” 3D game for a lot of people (because Doom was not really 3D and because that had limitations of what the game could attack you with)

DOOM not really being 3D had some gameplay implications not related to the graphical presentation. You couldn’t have one level directly on top of another, you didn’t need to aim vertically, and grenades couldn’t bounce. That’s about it, really.

I would argue that not aiming vertically was a huge deal and the others much less so.

This is why bunny hopping works in the engine. You time your jumps well enough and the friction doesn’t have time to slow you down. You add in strafe jumping which increases your speed beyond the base speed, and then you move faster than normal. That, along with the awesome ramp jumping, are two of my favorite parts of the original Quake engine.

Just because Doom’s map format didn’t support rooms over rooms, doesn’t mean the entities in its world didn’t have full 3D coordinates. They obviously did, since the player could ascend and fall, corpses would go sliding down stairs, and player shots and enemy projectiles would follow paths in 3D space toward the target (and could fly harmlessly over the player’s head).

The reason Doom auto-aimed vertically is because a) This was a pre-mouselook FPS, so there was no way to control the player looking up and down while keeping the pace they wanted, and b) There was no (good) way to depict the player view looking up and down in Doom’s renderer.

I don’t remember grenades existing in either of the original Doom games.