Quarterlies 2019! The Qt3 forum readers' choice for best game of 2019 is ...

We probably should have asked one of the admins to pin the post to the top of the forum. We should make sure that happens for the GOTDecade thread. They are really good at pinning things!

hey @admin, get off you lazy butt and get to the pinning boy!

Then go vote at Gamers with Jobs. This isn’t that place.

I do. There is nothing wrong with me sharing my opinion. Sometimes you’re an ass.

now now, kids, play nice. Now hug and make up.

…and sometimes people try to change a place into something they like better elsewhere when they already have that place to go to. I don’t want this place to be Gone Gold 2.0 or Gamers with Jobs. Those places don’t interest me. This started as a site with a lot of industry writers and developers hanging out with a lot of gamers who shared our interests. That underlying genesis of this place would be chipped away at by what you’re suggesting and another place exists that does exactly what you want.

Call me an ass if you like. I’m just being direct in my response.

And I’d say we should do whatever the majority wants. If that is limiting the vote to release year I’m ok with that. If it is what I suggest than I’m good with that too.

…which means we have a difference of opinion, and my response to that is there is a place for what you want. This isn’t it. I don’t see a consensus that agrees with you. I also vehemently oppose your option. As @SamS notes above. You’ve got a thread every month/week for that.

I now vehemently support whatever rob’s position was. I don’t really care to scroll up and find out, but you two can sort it out ;-)

I agree with Dave in principle, but his bedside manner is really turning me off and making me want to side with Rob.

He’s in the wrong though even if Dave is being a bit of a jerk.

Well you’re both obviously incorrect because of all the reasons that I definitely thought about before choosing whatever side I’m on in whatever argument we’re all having currently. I really hope you will consider my evidence at least as deeply as I have.

As someone who is, due to budgeting and small kids, very much not likely to play many if any releases the year they come out I actually prefer Robs method. Especially for late in the year releases.

Dammit Craig you reminded me.

I wonder if we should hold the Best Games of 2017 vote now, in 2020? That gives us 3 years to catch up. But exclude early access games from eligibility, that way each game is only eligible once in its formal release year.

The point of having a game of the year vote is to vote for the best game of the year. If people want to have “Games I Enjoyed This Year” poll, that’s fine too. There’s no reason to change the current rules and there’s certainly no limit on the amount of “Game of the Year” polls we can have.

I just got this 10 year old game this year off a Steam sale, it’s the best game of 2019!

This. Keep the Game of the Year as it is. Then just have the ‘Quarterlates’ or something, where anything that isn’t eligible for the GotY can be included.

It’s fine that you disagree. I just don’t think it’s necessary to be as ass when you do it. @SamS was able to disagree without being a jerk about it. Like I said if more people want to restrict it by release year than I’m cool with that.

Thank you :-)

You are the voice of reason Jason. I’d certainly have no issue with that.

Ok, I actually had a look at the 2017 vote, and it’s hilarious.

I still haven’t played any of the major games of 2017 that I hadn’t played already that year. Horizon Zero Dawn, the game of the year that year, is still in my backlog. I was looking through that long list, and the single game that jumped out that I have played since we voted was Nex Machina. So maybe there is no point to holding the vote later.