Quick laptop question/purchase decision help wanted.

I will say there’s a kind of escape velocity with portability where when you reach a threshold it ceases to be mere convenience (like in size and weight of carry) and actually changes where and how you use it, just like there a threshold where it gets too big it just falls back to earth and becomes a desktop with a built in battery. It’s why i’ve really grown to like the Macbook 12 over time. Because it can charge using USB-C you can actually use those portable cell phone batteries chargers to keep it running anywhere you are without worry about finding an outlet, and it weights less than a 10.5" iPad with a keyboard case so it’s no effort to take it anywhere. Only maybe a 8" iPad Mini w/ keyboard case beats in portability, and that means you have type the whole time on an 8" keyboard and stare at an 8" screen… eh.

An iPad + keyboard combo still does, admittedly have better usable and standby battery life, but you’re stuck without your programs. I can take the Macbook anyway easily, and the screen is easily the best of anything adjacent to it in the marketplace, making text just way easier to read.

The only usability problem i find is that in daylight - i mean ambient daylight, not direct daylight - the Macbook 12 needs to crank up its brightness to max, and it only lasts 4 hours or so when that bright.

Well I played with my new toy this weekend and I am very happy :)

One thing that it has surfaced is the wifi at home on my Blade runs 4 times as fast as my macs. Literally my Blade can hit 10mbps or a little higher whereas my macs all cap out at 4mbps ps or even slower. I think I need to change the ports on my macs they maybe crowding out the default one and fighting each other.

Most likely your old laptop only had 1x1 wifi and the blade has 3x3. That’s triple the bandwidth right there.

Interesting! Thanks! I guess I should be ashamed but I honestly just figured a laptop wifi adapter is pretty much the same. I guess I was wrong! :)

Yes, it’s called multiple input multiple output (MIMO). A 3x3 wifi setup has 3 receive and 3 transmit antennas, so you’re effectively connecting to your router three times for triple the bandwidth, more or less. Old/cheap laptops and almost all cellphones/tablets typically have 1x1, the vast majority of recent laptops have 2x2, and some expensive/flagship new ones like the MBP and XPS15 have 3x3.