R.I.P., Alan Rickman

A sad loss. I didn’t realize Die Hard was his film debut. Every great hero needs to play off a great villain, and he was simply magnificent.

“But why a spoon?..”
Because it hurts more"

He was a classic scene stealer. Galaxy Quest, where he really played himself. He was a terrific stage actor. And yes, he was the only good thing in the Robin Hood movie. I tried to rewatch it on netflix but ugh…

Really bums me out b/c by all accounts he was a good guy.

Reading the Harry Potter kids’ accounts of growing up around him and learning under him is really heartwarming, given the rather severe persona he obviously exuded over them onscreen.

For instance, from Danielle Radcliffe: “He was so encouraging of me both on set and in the years post-Potter. I’m pretty sure he came and saw everything I ever did on stage both in London and New York. He didn’t have to do that.”

Cross post from the non gif thread, cancer, this is for you:

I really liked him, as a speaker and an actor… he had such a range too. I wasn’t really expecting to lose these greats this sooner, thought we at least had another 10 years for most of them.

What awful news. Two greats in one week. I’ve got to watch Galaxy Quest again now (one of my favorites).

I actually watched it on Tuesday. Might need to do Die Hard now.

Just noticed it’s on Netflix US – since it’s now “trending” on my Netflix home screen.

RIP, Mr. Rickman.

Woah, it’s back? Awesome–it was streamable for a long time, then it went away (Galaxy Quest, that is).

Truly, Madly, Deeply may be one of his best films. I say “may be” because I haven’t seen it, but my spouse loves it and says it’s one of her favorite films. She gushes over it and gets teary-eyed just remembering it. It’s not really available to buy or view. It’s an Anthony Minghella film, a romantic ghost story, and I guess the rights are tied up in some dispute over his estate. It’s one of those collector’s things right now.

It is on Youtube right now, with Spanish subtitles. It will probably be taken down soon, but for now it’s here:

Rest in peace, thanks for all the fun you gave us

RIP

Well, fuck.

:(

I’m so jealous you got to see him on stage. Mr. DJ South Carolina Man. What a great experience that must have been. And I love your comment about his vulnerability. I was hoping one of your links went to a Truly Madly Deeply scene. It’s kind of a shame he’s known for being a sarcastic dick given how awesome he is in that movie.

Mark, now you totally have to watch Truly Madly Deeply. Given who he plays, it’s particularly relevant. :(

-Tom

Oh he was the Metatron angel from Dogma! I loved him in that.

I caught Truly Madly Deeply on TV back around 20 years ago, and it was very affecting. Wish it weren’t tied up in copyright hell so more could see it.

Rest in Peace, Good Night Sweet Prince. I’ll commemorate you with re-watching Dogma today.

I am not one to shit on Dogma as much as other news outlets have (it is weird, but fun in a way) but Alan Rickman as the “voice of god” yeah, nobody else could have played that part (besides Booger in Supernatural). The Smodcast episode where he talks about his relationship with Rickman is awesome, that guy was 100% a class act, stayed friends with Smith’s family etc. Great dude.

I still haven’t listened to it, because I’m not in the mood to cry right now.

He started losing his shit on Babble-On when they got to the Tinseltown Stiffs segment and that was more than I could really deal with at the time.

Well, he basically fights tears the entire time. I didn’t realize how much they had kept in touch over the years.