Race for the Galaxy

[quote=“Left_Empty, post:40, topic:129851”] I don’t see any interactions with other players.Tthe only thing I occasionnaly check is if they own goods, so I don’t trigger a trading event
[/quote]

It’s can also be helpful to check their military, if it’s high expect frequent settles. Then check their hand size. If it’s low, then expect an explore or trade. If it’s high, then expect develop or settle. Also, if they produce and 2x consume in the same turn, then expect mostly those two for the rest of the game. If you are playing with goals, try to figure out which ones the other players want. Finally, pay close attention to any 6-cost development. If there still a lot of openings left in the tableau, expect whatever will maximize that development.

But it’s not unreasonable to see RFTG as a bit like multi-player solitaire. After all, the R stands for Race, and a race is the oldest form of multi-player solitaire.

It tells much that I do not know what the goals are, or even how to get a develop focused game going. Right now, I tend to work on getting a trade/produce routine going, whose cards fuel my later developments as to get tons of VP with 6-cost ones in the end game.
Is there an in-game library of the cards to get acquainted to them? I didn’t find it, maybe because it is somewhere really obvious.

Actually, goals are introduced in the first expansion so perhaps you haven’t played with them yet. No in game library AFAIK, but you will become familiar with all the archetypes soon enough.

Consume and produce is a perfectly valid strategy if you have the right cards for it. If not, you can try something else. Military worlds are often windfall worlds, and may work better with trade than consume/produce. There are also subspecialties of consume/produce that focus on blue or brown worlds. You can also specialize in green, yellow, or rebel worlds but those often require some military investment. Focusing on development is tricky but also viable if you have the right cards. In general RFTG rewards spotting opportunities and some risk taking, so don’t fixate your strategy too much early on.

That is helpful, thanks. I had no idea that’s how it worked.

I wish the iOS version used a pop-up message to name the opponent’s choice each turn. I know there’s a little icon in the opponent box, but I don’t always look.

But that’s nitpicky. Overall a great UI.

I didn’t even notice the nuance between “Consume” and “Trade”. Spells how fresh a player I am!
The game is incredibly dynamic. I think I will succumb to the expansions quite quickly.

I have another question: on some cards (mainly development ones, especially higher tier), there is a variety of symbols involving half colored circles. I don’t remember them being mentionned in the tutorial, and couldn’t find them in the rules. What do they symbolize?

I think it means that benefit applies to both military and non-military planets.

Another “doh!” for me. I don’t know why I find the iconography so confusing while it is really quite plain - like my brain is trying to overcomplicate things.

I think even the developer would admit the iconography is a learning curve. The great thing is that once you’ve grokked all the icons, it makes playing much easier.

Try this:

I… I have a lot to assimilate…
I didn’t think there were that many variations!

Just remember to double-tap cards so they can explain the symbols to you. Don’t worry about trying to memorize all the icons asap; that will happen naturally in time, and the card text will carry you till you get there.

I’d say the some of the most important things to memorize upfront, before the iconography, are the purposes for each phase, and the bonuses for the player that selects them (you can double-tap each phase tab for an explanation), and the differences between windfall (halo worlds) and production worlds (solid worlds)–windfall starts with a trade good when played, and production worlds don’t (and unless you have a related card bonus, halo worlds won’t produce another trade good unless you’re the one that chose a production phase (phase V)). As an example: This can be important on turn one, when it could make the difference between having a large trade->draw next turn, or having to wait until a player activates the Production phase (phase V) before you get a good to trade–assuming your particular empire needs to worry about trade too much.

@Greysphere How do I submit a bug report for a possible bug (relating to the R&D Crash Program card trying to keep me from playing a card until I can discard -1 cards) through proper channels?

Email bugs to [email protected]. Having a screen shot often helps a lot too.

Thanks, email and screenshot sent.

I have a silly issue: it seems the game creates a new random online identity on each of my devices, and I would like to be able to share one across two of them. Is there any way to do this?

Device linking is what I’m working on this exact moment ;) Should be in the next major patch.

Oh, awesome (and thank you for the express answer!).

Edit: also would like to throw a little thanks for the fair european pricing, after Apple Muaddib’s dreams of 1 dollar=1.5 euro they decided to make true on their monopolistic store. If you could spread that to the Expansion packs (they are 4.49 euros for 3.99$) as well. Edit2: or maybe it can’t be adjusted?

The European price includes about 1.30e of tax, which makes it pretty close to even. But hey, you get healthcare or something, right? ;) Technically we can change prices individually, but managing that (particularly over time) isn’t really feasible so the stores just end up doing it all for everyone.

As I just got back from the orthodontist… Stop pushing where it hurts! If only I was still living in Europe, I might have got that healthcare :(
Apple not able to let you manage multiple iTunes account on a single device without jumping through stupid loops is another sucky part of it, and the reason why I am still using my European account.
Anyway I ended up paying 8,98 euros (roughly 10 bucks) for the expansions: know that you made me miserable, and the kids won’t have shoes this year.
PS: the goal mechanics rock, and that hard AI is no joke!

It’s amazing how much better the iconography for Roll for the Galaxy is than Race for the Galaxy.

I bought the app for Race, thinking it would finally let me learn the iconography and play the physical card game with friends. But then I realized, there’s no way a normal person (i.e. my friend) is going to ever learn the iconography without playing the game a billion times.

I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of time playing this game since picking it up last week. I’ve always got at least 2-3 games going in multiplayer, and unlike my very first multiplayer match described in this post, I haven’t experienced another crash in all that time. I guess the few crashes I had in that first multiplayer match were some sort of fluke.

I’ve probably completed about 20 games or so against other players, and several times that number vs the AI.

If I had one request to make for future version, I’d like the game to be more persistent when I have a turn waiting in multiplayer when I’m blitzing through a single-player match. I sometimes miss the indicator that pops up in the upper right, and missing that for several minutes can mean the difference between more or less playing live against another player for the duration of that match, or having them get bored of waiting and setting the game down for the rest of the day. Too many times I wrap up a single player game, just to get back to multi-player and see one or more games waiting for my input, when I would have dropped everything in single-player had I known that were the case. Thankfully, due to the nature of the game, playing asynchronously isn’t that big of a deal, but it does seem more thrilling when playing against another opponent real time.

Anyway, I’m loving this game. I’m also thrilled I didn’t find out about its release until shortly after it actually came out. So sick of seeing threads for games I must own, only to find out they’re going to be in development/early access for the next 3+ years anyway. Although, I guess its too bad now I’m stuck waiting for the Steam version.