Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

AI testing continues:

The Assetto Corsa update is out now. Limited AI on some races.

New cars: Lotus Evora GTE and BMW 1m

I think this game should probably get its own thread.

It has it’s own thread. Lead us back, Telefrog!

Also: a new Lotus and a new BMW! Gee, we didn’t have enough of those.

What’s the longest race any of you all have completed, online or SP?

My longest is 2.4 hrs. Ran one this last weekend as celebration of Daytona 24. It was online using rfactor, and we had 47 drivers start. I did not do too well (got punted by 2 different protos for major damage), but really enjoyed it. Long races are just so different than the normal sprints. In a way, its very relaxing.

I did a scaled down endurance race at Spa in GTR2. Maybe scheduled for an hour? No idea. I was really enjoying myself, and then the engine blew sometime at night. :(

Mine would be about 2 hours. I used to run in the old FASCAR (fixed setup NASCAR 2003) races and we’d run 1/4 length races with real yellow and such every week. Man, I miss those days.

Tim, that is a big part of the longer races. All of a sudden shift point, brake temps, gas mileage, tire wear, and oil temps can make a difference in your cars life!

It’s hard to remember that long ago, but I think I made sure to lower my rev limiter and everything. I don’t really know what happened and I didn’t feel like playing it again. If I had made it to the end, it would’ve been awesome, but replaying it would’ve made it a chore. Just one of those lost moments in gaming.

I think I heard the AC devs aren’t sure they’ll implement night racing, at least in v1.0. I hope they do. I’d love to try another “endurance” drive.

I occasionally run the Le Mans 24 hours on Power and Glory. I run 11-13 laps, depending on how my fuel consumption is, then save and come back to it another day. I’m fond of running the early 70’s Porsche 911 2.8 RSR there and at just under five minutes a lap it fits nicely into an hour session.

Of course, I’ve never actually finished one, but that’s because the AI is alarmingly aggressive. So if you’re taking it easy through the back section in the dark on old tyres, then some AI moron in a 3 litre Ford Capri will absolutely drill into the back of you in the braking zone.

Another endurance event was on iRacing in the week 13 free for all last season when they ran a long race at Talledega. It wasn’t meant to be a super-endurance race, but it ended up lasting something like four hours due to an insane number of yellow flags. My untimely demise came after close to two hours when I was driven into a wall and my engine was beyond repair.

Had one of those “Red Sea” moments on Assetto Corsa.

Bombing around Monza in the Tatuus in a big pack is, at turns, frightening and exhilarating. I don’t think the AI is designed to run the Lotus 49 yet, but I’m tempted to see if it can get around a simple course like Monza 66, just because a big pack of those would make me all squiffy.

Playing “Game Stock Car 2013” from Brazil, (hence the slightly clunky title wording). I had to, as soon as I saw this :

My Dad worked on that car.

It turns out the damage model is pretty handy.

This was the day everyone forgot how to take the big downhill left. So many accidents.

You find yourself in some funny sim situations.

Dude, wrong thread! That clip deserves to be in the ‘Best Youtube Videos’ thread.

Epic!

Playing Assetto Corsa for any length of time has really made me appreciate the GSC13 AI.

Playing long races I see solo accidents, pile ups and a myriad small mistakes in line and acceleration that show as wiggles at the rear of the AI car, and then lap after lap of the AI running half an inch from your gearbox without issue. Of course, it helps when that AI is double-World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi.

Here’s 12 minutes of GSC racing at Londrina Long in Brazil in the Formula Retro class.

The big shunts at the start vaulted me into a position I’d not managed before and then all I had to do was hold off Fittipaldi, Carlos Pace, James Hunt, etc…

What’s the current situation between the major titles? I know there are Project Cars, Rfactor 2 and this Assetto Corsa.

So how they are placed in respect to each other? And what’s this other GSC13?

I can only compare GSC and AC. GSC13 is Game Stock Car 2013, a Brazilian game based on the rFactor 1 engine, featuring Brazilian races and tracks. Mr Bismarck links a video of it in his post above yours.
It’s highly regarded and probably has the best racing around at the moment. Personally I feel AC has the best feeling of driving, and from what I’ve read Project Cars has the best graphics. rFactor 2 I don’t know but I hear the devs are dragging their feet with it.

Maybe someone else can go into a more detailed feature breakdown and analysis but needless to say, if you like racing sims you should own AC. And probably GSC 2013 as well. :)

Project Cars put out a new trailer - this one for Formula 1, what with the new season starting this weekend.

It’s a little overwrought, (a little…), but seeing those 80s machines with Ayrton’s voice over the top gave me a moment.

Project Cars is coming to the PS4 VR thingie Morpheus.

Game Stock Cars is getting updated today with quite some content (for free) and changes title to Game Stock Car Extreme:

Beyond the just-released v1.15 which introduces the Formula V12, Montreal, Floripa along with several other improvements, a series of updates are planned for the next 2-3 months, to include several new enhancements along with the following content:

Formula Extreme
The first car in a high-end racing simulator based on the F1 technical regulations of 2014 - including a V6 1.6 Turbo engine, 8-speed gearbox, energy recovery systems and DRS.

Formula Vee Brasil
The brazlian version of one of the most popular and acessible junior formulas around the world, the little Vees are perfetly suited for close open wheel racing.

Metalmoro MR18
Weighing under 750 kg and with a turbo engine outputting 400 HP, GSC´s first prototype has great pedigree in brazilian endurance racing

Opala Stock Cars 1986
By 1986, the original, fairly “stock” Opalas which made up the grid for the first brazilian Stock Cars seasons as simulated in GSC2013 had evolved into serious race cars, complete with aero kits, slick tires and a heavily tuned engine - all this combining to laptimes tumbling 30s around the old Interlagos relative to the earlier years of the series!

Superkart
250cc aero-equipped superkarts for actual race tracks is a new dimension to the karting component in GSC - racing doesn´t get more manic than this!

Stock Car V8 2014
The new 2014 Stock Car season could not be missing here - all cars and drivers from the new season with new technical and sporting rules such as new bigger Pirelli tires, semi-automatic gearboxes and double-stint races.

TRACKS
A selected variety of tracks with a more international flavor covering different eras is currently in development:

Austrian Ring 1976
Kyalami 1976
Jacarepagua 1988
Bologne 1988
Austrian Ring 2014
Buenos Aires 2014

All that is listed above is 100% confirmed and currently in development,

…but there could be more! Consider the following potential additions:

• Even more cars & tracks;
  • Live dynamic track conditions;
  • Live dynamic weather;
  • A new enhanced tire model simulating dirt, graining, blistering, flatspots along with a number of other advancements;
  • A new realistic transmission physics to accurately simulate each car´s gear shift characteristics;

The downside is that at some point TODAY it also gets a price bump, from $25 to $30. Right now it’s still the old price. And I’m buying it now.

Btw, what the guy does in this video is INSANE:

look at minutes 17:35 onward, for example

Running kart tracks in a normal car is a great way to learn car control. We used Miatas to teach some sim newbies that was at CMS.