Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

Pro tip! Don’t do this.

If you do that one more time, your car will explode and you’ll have to traverse on foot to complete the quest.

I tried Project CARS with my Quest via Oculus Link. It looks terrible at low resolution and I had trouble coordinating my head movement to this silly gamepad, but I can see how impressive this would be with a good setup. (And given that I stripped two lug nuts after a track day this weekend, I’m more inclined toward sim racing at the moment!)

Is anyone driving exclusively in VR now?

I was playing Dirt Rally 2.0 yesterday and a buddy wanted to see it so I streamed for a little while and then @Lenkenobi stopped by so there was a beginner’s guide to rallying as I played.

I’m definitely faster on the dirt/gravel than the asphalt. PS4 Pro with HDR turned on with a controller. First time through the stages too.

So glad they gave DR2 away on PS Plus. I was always going to get it eventually (probably on PC) because I enjoyed the first one so much. I like racing, but rally is just inherently more interesting to me than track racing.

The LMP1’s were obscenely expensive, and the corporate $$ are now moving away from racing overall . The GT3/GT4 cars are customer cars for the most part, and do not cost so much for the manufacturers to support.

Then again, this is a pendulum that swings back and forth every X years traditionally. Manufacturers leave and the racing becomes lower budget privateers, then the manufacturers come back and technology/speeds/costs skyrocket. We are entering an ebb period.

The question is with manufacturers focused now on electric car technology will the $$ ever come back to endurance racing. Or will the oh-so-gamey Formula-E be the future.

Yeah, it was a great freebie. I have it on PC also, but I just do most of my gaming on the PS4 these days since I have a really good group for Warzone/Apex so I finally broke down and added external storage this past weekend so I could install a bunch of the PS Plus stuff I didn’t have room for thanks to CoD being like a million gigs.

I really need to get back into online sim racing. Since it was the genre I was primary reviewer for Computer Games Strategy Plus/CGM for about six years (along with RTS), I think I was just sorta burned out. I’ve occasionally played something a bit here and there, but I also didn’t have room for the wheel/pedals anymore while kids were growing up and time was at a premium and to stay good, you need a lot of time, not unlike the Battle Royale stuff I play now.

My brother does a lot of iRacing and is pretty good in sprint cars and pavement NASCAR modifieds. I’ll likely go that route so I can connect with him more often since we live about eight hours apart. That said, I was always a big fan of the GT games you all are playing here. I reviewed the Sim Bin games back in the day. I also spent a lot of time running 1967 Formula One cars in Grand Prix Legends online in 1999-2000 as well as the Papyrus NASCAR stuff.

My racing league also has a DR2 league going to give us something to do between race nights and we’re currently in Australia, which looks real purdy in the evening.

Trying to remember how to drive these things on gravel while constantly practicing tyre-preservation in a front wheel drive hatchback for race night is a challenge.

So, uh, how much experience does one need to do something like this? I literally just bought DR2 GOTY on PC, but I’ve poked a bit at it on PS4 and played the original for a couple dozen hours on PC, too.

I suppose they could quickly detach and replace battery packs if they were made accessible somehow from the bottom*. The recent hybrid LMP1 batteries recharge regeneratively when braking, which is cool but not the same thing as the car being being fully electric.

* There is a ton of aero going on down there, so it's unlikely

I just read that Formula E will have pitstops for quick recharging in the near future.

MotorSport Games mentioned upthread for picking up the BTCC license announced yesterday that they’re dropping the “Heat” moniker from their NASCAR game going forward and will also move away from Unity to build the game from the ground up.

More interesting to me - they announced they’re in conversation with Indycar about making an official Indycar game.

Interesting. Well they are assembling quite an ex-Codemasters team over at MotorSports Games for the BTCC licensed game, being led by Paul Coleman (DiRT Rally, etc), with intentions to take it in Sim direction. So I could get behind them developing a more serious NASCAR game and then also translating that to Indycar as well down the line.

Aren’t NASCAR cars all identical except for differently shaped headlights? I guess it allows them to focus on other important things like simulating drunk rednecks wandering around the pit area.

It should focus on the early days of NASCAR where the drunk rednecks were the drivers rather than the fans. I want to experience Lee Petty coming at me with a torque wrench after I crash him out of a race, preferably in VR.

Lollipop man couldn’t move on account of his enormous balls.

I’d go one further and make a racing game based on bootlegging. Surprised it hasn’t been done actually. Sounds like a Rockstar title to me :P

I’m surprised that hasn’t been done yet too. Setting traps around your still, covertly murdering nosey revenuers, speeding around curvy mountain roads evading the law: that sounds like fun to me.

We need to get on a kickstarter ASAP for Bootlegger, it’s actually a pretty good idea for racing/rpg hybrid.

Stretch goal could be a DLC where you play as a Caribbean rum-runner taking shipments into Charleston or New Orleans.

I know there are some game devs on the forum. Free idea guys!