Radiant AI?

I’m still used to Morrowind where the NPCs just stayed in one place. I arrived back in town with the news about Weatherlea, but the brothers weren’t in the bar where I had last scene them. It was the middle of the night, and I ended up breaking into their home to talk to them. Having them on a schedule and having shops close up really does add something to the game as minor as it might seem.

You could have instead just waited till the morning to talk to them.

That’s okay, they usually don’t mind if you break into their house ;).

Yeah, but where’s the fun in that? :)

I went to Weatherlea to spy on the ogres but there are none to be found even though my quest marker clearly indicates it. Are the orgres hungry and hunting? I have no idea. Radiant AI out of whack?

That would imply it had any quantity of whack to begin with.

I had one time where I ended up running into town durring a battle and a guard came over and killed the guy for me.

Then I started talking to the guard, and asked him about the guy he just killed and his response was something like “Poor fellow, I hear he went crazy and some guard had to kill him” or something. No memory of his actions 10 seconds prior.

I was thinking more along the lines of Tom Hanks’ “Mr. Short Term Memory” skits on SNL.

“Oh my god! Somebody’s killed this man, we should call the guards!”

“You are a guard, Jeff, and you killed him.”

“What? I didn’t kill anybody!”

“Yes you did, he’s right there, and that’s his blood on your sword.”

“My god, there’s been a murder! You there, summon the watch! I think I’ve found the murder weapon!”

Yeah, this curious amnesia makes the “Radiant AI” fall into its very own uncanny valley. With all that effort put into realistic NPC actions it’s all the more jarring when they start the same conversation they just had, or when they don’t know things they should (like the guys in one side quest who don’t react to being shown their stolen property). Like the not-quite-right NPC faces, there’s obvious progress compared to what came before but it’s making me impatient for a game that actually gets it right.

This thread made me laugh.

I found a Kajit walking south from Bruma, and since I was on my way to the Imperial City I figured what the hell, might as well follow.

Yadda yadda, she gets ambushed, I loot the body:

Bravil Castle Key
Bravil Castle Inrterior Key

So I guess that would have been a loooong walk had I followed her to her destination. Also now my thief has a new (personal) quest: Steal everything in Castle Bravil.

:)

Not a Radiant AI thing.

http://www.axemurderer.net/voice_acting101.avi

It’s kinda like the blooper stuff you watch during the end credits of Pixar movies. Kinda.