Rally the Troops! A site where boardgames can be played free online with rules enforcement

I understand you people even less that the people who play miniatures wargames! Bunch of weirdos. If I were a bully, I’d be stealing your lunch money every day and twice on Sundays. Wait, you probably don’t even have lunch money on Sundays. Is lunch money still even a thing? It’s really hard for a wargamer of a certain age to work out his place in the pecking order these days!

Once I bought a Mark Herman game called Peloponnesian War that boasts solitaire support. Like, the box actually says, “Hey, this is a solitaire game for one player! w00t! Let’s go!” But the “solitaire support” consists of playing one side for a while, then turning the board around and playing the other side for a while. So I beat up the game, took its lunch money, and spent it on a copy of Friday, which I then threw in a river.

Oh, absolutely! I would definitely be a cheerleader for that if I knew any of the games. I initially went the site to see if Wilderness War supported any sort of solitaire play, since I really want to learn that game at some point. I blame your enthusiasm.

But I guess there’s no excuse not to get a Pax Pamir game underway? We should start a thread.

Ok @Tom_Mc, you’re on. Let’s take Nevsky for a spin.

Wilderness War is really really good and id be happy to go through a game of that sometime. Im not particularly good at any of these games, just an enthusiastic player. I’m a little proud that it looks like im finally closing in on a French victory in a Wilderness War game.

Well, its official Andean Abyss will be the next game. Well ok, semi official Tor, the developer, posted screenshots of it while we were busy guessing what the next game was going to be. So, im confident it will be Andean Abyss but there is no timeline posted yet. I’m still very excited and the prospect of a good online venue for a COIN is great news.

I just got that, but I have decided to resell it. Game looks fascinating, but, as usual, my problem is too many games and not enough. Playing with rules enforcement online really speeds things up.

Looking forward to it. I just got a copy of it but I decided to resell it. The game looks fascinating, but time, as always , is the drawback.

Andean Abyss is live today! Who’s coming with me?

Andean Abyss has been great.

Well, today Time of Crisis was just put up.

I have the boardgame version of Time of Crisis. A solid game.

Another surprise entry on the site today:

No solid date yet but it has been confirmed on Discord that there will be an implementation of Plantagenet coming. I like the Levy and Campaign series and ive been really happy to play Nevsky there. Can’t wait to get Plantagenet played there.

Hmm, is it odd that he’s skipping the Reconquista and medieval Italy games in the series?

After Nevsky, GMT released Almoravid and Inferno before Plantagenet. It seems like Almoravid and Inferno were more modest follow-ups, not pushing too hard against the basic system as it was established in Nevsky. But with Plantagenet, the system is grappling with entirely new mechanics because of the longer time span. The earlier games were laser-focused on specific two-year periods, but Plantegenet is drawn out over the course of 25 years. That’s going to make for a different kind of game, it seems.

Anyway, I was hoping he’d do Almoravid for rally-the-troops next. The Reconquista is more interesting to me than a bunch of dippy English wars of succession. Oh, look, someone else wants a turn ruling England. Yawn.

The designer/owner of the site, Tor isn’t working on Plantagenet directly. I hope it works out and there can be more games developed and played there.

As to implementing Plantagenet, I’m really excited to see it there and will be diving right in. I do think this is the point in the L&C series where we see the system really start to change. Plantagenet is very very different from Nevsky, Almoravid, and my understanding of Inferno (I’ve never played that one). I am with you though on personal preference. I kind of wish it was Almoravid. And at the site’s Discord there’s a constant clamor for Pax Renaissance, which I’d love to see. But I’m the weird guy that would also love to see Pax Trashumanity or some other (even more) niche game.

dontgivemehope.gif

Just want to mention that The Field Of The Cloth Of Gold is, like a lot of Amabel Holland’s games, completely nuts. Very much worth playing.

Surprise entry to the site today. I awoke to see Brian Train’s Algeria folio game implemented here. I hadn’t had a chance to try it at all yet and this is great news. I knew of Train for his contributions to COIN, A Distant Plain and Colonial Twilight. I think I remember @Brooski mentioning Brian before.

If you look at the credits for the folio game, you will find Brooski to be the only playtester. Not sure how that happened but I don’t think it’s true (that I was the only one). You can hear Brian Train talking to Brooski here

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/game-designer-brian-train

I’m very curious how this plays on RtT.

I’ve got a couple games of Algeria under my belt now. I am really bad at it but just had my first victory as France. I was riding that coup line at a low PSL of 30 but I had all my elite brigades deployed and was able to get the FLN contained and eventually swept from the map. At that point territory bonuses were really in my favor and PSL was on a great upswing. I like the system a lot. I don’t fully understand it all just yet. That’s the downside of having a machine handle the rules for you but I’m getting there and I think the implementation is quite good. It wasn’t implemented by Tor, who developed almost every other game on the site, but Mischa did an excellent job and seems quite skilled. It’s still listed as an alpha in the game description but we are rock solid as far as I can tell.

How many turns did it go? Some of the playtest games (well, one at least) took forever.

It took 10 turns. I went heavy in the first part of the game deploying almost all brigades. No divisions until the end when PSL was safe and I was just grabbing territory. So it was a gamble that ended up working out. If the FLN player spread out a bit more i think I would have had a harder time botteling them up.

In a game i started earlier with soneone else, which is still going on btw at turn 8, I’m at low PSL and hopelessly unable to contain the FLN. I really should just resign that one but it will be over very soon. I lost over the course of two weeks. The game in whuch I one I started 2 days ago. Pacing is all over the place at Rally the troops and I play with all kinds of players. Sometimes we’ll get a good rythem of turns going and sometimes we’ll have other things to do and it might just be a daily check in.