Rally the Troops! A site where boardgames can be played free online with rules enforcement

Nice site where games can be played free online with rules enforcement. You can play against yourself or against online opponents. Looks like Hotseat would be a breeze.

https://rally-the-troops.com/

The games available are Crusader Rex, Hammer of the Scots, Julius Caesar, Richard III, 300 and Shores of Tripoli.

Hey thanks for posting about this. Of the Colombia block games I have Richard III. I’ll have to research 300 and Shores of Tripoli.

I just got done with a solo game of 300. Never played it before and I greatly enjoyed it. Simple mechanics but great historical feel.

They now have Wilderness War. Very easy to play solo with rules enforcement.

I posted in the grognard thread. I’m very excited about this one.

One of my favorite card driven games. I hope they will be doing this for other card driven games.

I’ve been testing solitaire. It’s pretty impressive so far.

So the Wilderness War implementation is very good and Tor, the developer, is very active about getting any little thing ironed out. I haven’t played any of the block games on the site but I can also vouch that the Shores of Tripoli implementation is also great.

Oh and today it was announced on the Discord server that Pax Pamir is now ready for testing. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite stops on the internet.

I haven’t played Julius Caesar in decades and i love that game. Thanks for the heads up!

I have the board game. Can’t wait to play it through the Rally the Troops system. This is precisely what grognards have wanted over the decades. Rules enforcement that allows us to play board games either solo or over the internet. AI in games is good, but rules enforcement is enough if you really want to play a game.

Rally the Troops added Pax Pamir to the main site, as opposed to the testing site. So, I tooled around with the interface. I think Pax Pamir has the best ruleset of all the Pax games. Ultimately I think that Cole really did put together the best designed Pax game there. When it first came out Pamir was lightyears ahead of the other games in the series in terms of having good graphic design and the most elegant rules. It’s not surprising that Cole had gone on to be a rather accomplished game designer.

Anyway, If anyone is up to Pamir, or really anything on the site I’d love to play with Qt3 users. If we’re up to it I might even post game progress here as an example.

Oh, hellll yeah. Pamir is one of those games I have struggled and struggled to get on the table over the years. It’s so good. Is it the second edition?

Sorry I didn’t answer here. Yes it is the second edition and Rally the Troops is a great way to actually see the game in motion. I also have not gotten it physically to the table yet either but because of it’s length and my rapidly growing familiarity by playing online It is certainly climbing the ranks.

Oh by the way apparently there was an announcement of a new game Tor, the developer at Rally the Troops, is working on, Nevsky. So I am very excited to see that one hit the site as well.

Nevsky! I have the boardgame. One of the more imaginative designs I have seen in recent years. Can’t wait to see it get the Rally treatment!

Nevsky is now on the site.

I’m finally getting around to checking out this site. I must say, the implementations look really slick, and as a dyed-in-the-wool VASSAL hater and the president of the VASSAL Haters Club, I would totally play games on this platform. It seems every bit as solid as something more ambitious like Boardgame Arena.

However, I don’t think it supports any solitaire play. It looks like it’s strictly for people who want to run head-to-head games online. As far as I can tell, the only games in their catalogue that support solitaire play are the bot modes for Shores of Tripoli and Pax Pamir, neither of which is implemented on Rally the Troops.

The site is not meant for solitaire play. Although to learn the games you can easily make one and fill all the seats yourself. Bot support will never be implemented. The developer was pretty adament when discussion about the COIN series came up.

What is great about this site is i am now playing Pax Pamir, Richard III, Wilderness War and now Nevsky. Something that would be hard for me get done in person with the people I know.

Now you tell me! The original post advertises Rally the Troop as a place where you can “play against yourself”, and Don later says Wilderness War is “very easy to play solo”. You yourself mentioned “testing solitaire”!

So, yeah, I’m afraid I went in expecting support for the games that had solitaire modes, especially given that you spoke approvingly of the implementation of Shores of Tripoli. Which might be great, but without support for its solitaire mode strikes me as incomplete, like Pax Pamir. But since the site clearly isn’t made for solitaire play*, I figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone else got the wrong idea.

* I guess you guys are talking about that weird wargamer thing of playing both sides of a two-player game? I’ve tried many times to coin the phrase “duo-taire”, but it’s clearly not taking. :)

Yeah, I have been doing that since the seventies. Rule enforcement of this mode of play is a dream come true for me. I hope GMT will hire the Rally guy to take this to the next level for GTM games.

There certainly is nothing wrong with pointing out the limits of the site.

I still think It would be great to play some of these with fellow forum members. Pax Pamir is great on Rally the Troops and i know we’ve got some Pax players here.

Currently im really loving Nevsky. And would love to play with the Qt3 crowd as well. I know @Brooski has played it.

If i could control Tor’s next project id put him towards getting an Empire of the Sun implementation going. I think Andean Abyss is likely the next one, although there’s been nothing official on that.