Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

February 21, 1972: Nixon visits China

See, I was led to believe that’s not at all how planes land.

The exact date depends on which paper publication you go by, but right around this time, English physicist James Chadwick discovered the neutron. Building on other work, of course, but Chadwick made the connections and published.

Wilt’s 100 point game was today

March 6, 1857, The Dred Scott decision. 162 years later it remains a stain on the reputation of the Supreme Court.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0306.html#article

Prisoners leaving Alcatraz on the day it ceased operation as a prison - March 21, 1963.

They all successfully escaped Alcatraz!

He also contracted his 100th STI later that evening.

45 years ago

It’s too bad we’ll probably never know when and where the first rickroll was…

Edit… or maybe not:

http://nowiknow.com/the-first-rickroll/

Noriega was convicted of drug trafficking, racketeering, and money laundering by the United States in 1992, and spent the next fifteen years in American prisons. He spent three more years in custody after that, awaiting extradition to France. In 2010, he was extradited to France. And that day, NPR retold the story of his crimes and capture. One of the songs the military played during the capture, of course, was “Never Going to Give You Up.” The Navy SEALs Rickrolled Noriega out of the Vatican, nearly twenty years before Rickrolling was a thing.

Beverly Cleary is 103 today.

Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!

That looks good. Ok, so what is the preferred cheese for a grilled cheese? I still enjoy real american cheese, not the cheese food substitute.

Oh man, I know what I’m having for lunch now.

Damn near every day is grilled cheese day in my house. Well, except pizza days.

I’ve used damn near every kind of (meltable) cheese at one point or another, and many of them are good, but for me nothing beats good old sharp cheddar.

The secret to a good grilled cheese is multiple types of cheese.

Sharp Cheddar and whipped Cream Cheese is an excellent combination. The sharp cheddar brings the flavor, while the cream cheese makes it supper gooey. I usually use a bit if mozzarella because more cheese.

That being said, you can’t forgot to use a lot of butter, and I suggest a low heat so the bread doesn’t burn before cheese melts (cheddar takes longer than processed cheese, and we are talking about American Cheddar).

The Netherlands has they own version, the Toasti, which is Gouda and Ham. And some add pine apple

And, if you want to really venture out, Good Eats Alton Brown suggest Grilled Jam and Cheese. It’s surprisingly good. Surprisingly so, which many won’t believe.