Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

John Lennon’s murder was 38 years ago today.

115 years ago today:

On December 19, 1777, George Washington moved his beleaguered Continental Army into winter quarters at Valley Forge, PA. During that brutal winter more than 2,000 of the 12,000 soldiers who entered the encampment would die of various causes. Nevertheless, under the tutelage of Baron von Stueben, the army that emerged in the Spring of 1778, was hardened, disciplined and ready to fight. That readiness showed at the Battle of Monmouth in June.

Of equal or greater importance, during that winter, Benjamin Franklin negotiated an alliance with France. Those negotiations would pay off with the ultimate victory by a joint French-American force at Yorktown in October, 1781.

December 23, 1888 - Vincent van Gogh ends the day with one less ear.

https://www.vincentvangogh.org/van-gogh-ear.jsp

Careful with those straight razors, artists.

50 years ago last night:

moon

Today, 80% of the United States population has no first-hand memory of this.

Anders, Lovell and Borman, April 2018:

January 9, 1972: “Seawise University,” the former R.M.S. Queen Elizabeth, catches fire and eventually capsizes in Hong Kong harbor. The fire was certainly arson, as it started in several places along the ship’s length simultaneously, but no one has ever been charged with the crime.

The photo below shows the burned-out hulk of the ship before it capsized.

January 12, 1969, 50 years ago today, Broadway Joe Namath makes good on his guaranty and the American Football League New York Jets shock the football world by defeating the National Football League champion Baltimore Colts 16-7 in Super Bowl III.

January 15, 1919, 100 years ago today, a devastating tsunami hit Boston. A tsunami not of water, but of molasses.

Today is Popeye’s 90th birthday

Ah cool , I liked Popeye when I was a kid.

I even still today sometime eat canned spinach.

Is this comic not meant to be read left-to-right, top-to-bottom, like manga or something? I swear the last two panels essentially don’t make any sense, hah

Could probably go in the NFL thread, too - 1984, Super Bowl ad

Jan. 25, 1915 - Alexander Graham Bell Demonstrates AT&T’s Transcontinental Telephone Line

The Great Lakes State — or Mitten State, if you prefer — turns 182 today, joining the union on Jan. 26, 1837.

“Once upon a midnight dreary. . .”

Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” was published on January 29, 1845.

raven

50 years ago today the Beatles gave their final performance on the roof of Apple.

Interestingly they were beaten to the punch 2 years earlier.

It was two months, not two years, earlier: Nov. 1968 vs Jan. 1969. Anyway, interesting choice of song.

Old man brain fart.

The inspiration for Friendface is 15 years old today