Ray-tracing: AMD vs. NVidia vs. Game Support

A trailer for a video? Yay.

Yeah, that was very disappointing.

Embargoed Reviews are supposed to hit tomorrow?

POV-Ray is a really good ray-tracer. You can use it to benchmark your CPU.

I thought the mirror scenes in this demo looked awful, like 2002 awful. Maybe they are just missing the little bit of refraction that an ordinary second-surface mirror gives.

I’ll put this here. Following on fellow old-timers Quake and Minecraft, Portal gets ray-tracing retrofitted, via RTX Remix apparently. Path-tracing in fact. Digital Foundry in fits of ecstasy :) Does look nice.

I’ll watch that video after work today, if I get the chance.

Full headline: Modders are on an RTX rampage having added ray tracing to Half Life 2, Max Payne and even SWAT 4.

Apparently Portal RTX is the new Crysis, unless you cap out bounces at, like, 2.

Nvidia sure wants people to want to have RTX decent cards, wonder why, and since developers themselves have to worry about stuff like “can this run on consoles / PC’s people currently have”, tools to make it easier to retrofit are a good idea.

Wonder if the slideshow nature of the thing is just how it has to be, or something that will improve.

It’s fully path traced, not just ray-traced reflections and illuminations. Path tracing is the ultimate culmination of CGI progression where artists and content designers will no longer need to use any “tricks”, but it’s a couple generations away from being performant enough to use in modern titles. Hell, even standard ray-tracing is barely at that spot, even on Nvidia hardware.

Nvidia Remix looks pretty cool. I wonder how well it would work with something like Rise of Legends ( @tomchick :) ), or maybe the first Dawn of War rts game. I was thinking that had random maps like Rise of Nations which I’m not sure how remix could/would handle that, but looking on like it may be that my memory is wrong.

Wait, so this is a thing that lets you add ray-tracing to a game? Why would you ever do that? I thought ray-tracing was just something you turned off?

TRUE STORY: My main computer has been dying for a while now, and it finally gave up the ghost for good nearly two months ago. Just straight-up bricked. I started taking it apart to figure out what was up, figuring I’d just need a new power supply, but in the course of pulling it apart came to accept it’s ten years old at this point, so it’s probably just going to get worse. At which point I just ordered a pre-built computer from Maingear. Which took until this week to arrive! Ugh. But it got here, I set it up, I started downloading a ton of graphics intensive games to really flex my new power, I got comfortable in front of my big-ass desktop monitor which I haven’t used in two months, and then I…

…spent the evening watching YouTube videos about WWII airplanes.

Not sure where I got sidetracked, but at some point I found a guy doing a walkthrough of a B-25, and then there went the rest of the evening in a rabbit warren of videos about B-25s and B-17s and even a half-serious search for where I might find Memphis Belle streaming. I’m sure my new Nvidia GTX3080 is delighted at the workout it’s getting. :/

But the next day, I actually got around to booting up stuff like Dying Light and Elden Ring and Metro Exodus and various other games where part of the configuration process is finding the option to turn off ray-tracing. And I turned on their ray-tracing and didn’t even notice a difference.

In framerate, I mean. They ran smooth as you please. I was quite tickled to be able to finally leave ray-tracing turned on, even if I don’t really notice what it’s doing. And just think! Now I can add ray-tracing to Rise of Legends? Someone pinch me so I know I’m awake! :)

While I can’t say “this element in a game is Ray tracing”, what I did notice between it being on vs. off is the vibrancy it adds to a scene and how much more alive it appears. Ray tracing off feels a little duller.

Cyberpunk is a good ray tracing title too. Don’t skip the DLSS :)

Potentially. It allows modders to more easily mod certain games. In addition to the option of adding ray tracing, it makes it easier to for modders to update textures, and potentially the 3d models (need to dig into it more). Just thinking Rise of Legends would be a good candidate for someone to try it since it came up again in one of the recent threads.

Only works in pretty old games, basically directX 9 with a fixed-function pipeline. Rise of legends is a possibility.

Congrats on the new rig!

I’ve found that the better the game’s graphics the more subtle raytracing is. I guess that makes sense since the most graphically intensive games have put millions of dollars into their existing lighting systems. Meanwhile, you put it in something like Quake II or Minecraft and it’s REALLY noticeable.

I should clarify it allows mod creators to potentially do it to older games. So it would require someone taking the time and effort to do it, so we could then enjoy the fruits of their labor. :)

Congrats on the new system. It always is nice when you make a big jump, and get to crank up settings to see how everything looks, and plays. Somedays I regret not putting the extra money in for a 3080 instead of a 3070 for the extra power, but I don’t really need it most of the time since I am gaming at 2560x1440. The extra power, especially for ray tracing, would be nice though.