Ready for the 4x plunge

It used to be hard to find (I had to import my copy from Britain). Now through the magic of the multi-game collection and GoGamer, Alien Crossfire (and a couple of other games you either already have or don’t want) can now be your’s for 20 bucks.

I think I’m with Alan. I find all the new factions flawed compared to the original but the changes to the underlying game are good. Best of all, you don’t have to play (either as or against) any of the new factions. So I thinks it’s worth the extra $7 (compared to buying SMAC alone) to get the collection with Alien Crossfire if you need to buy SMAC anyway. If you already have SMAC, I’d just download the last patch and save the twenty bucks.

If you can’t find SMACX (it’s hard), let me know and I’ll send you my copy.

The SMAC expansion, but not the original game, can be downloaded from the Underdogs site, it’s 135mb.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Sid+Meier's+Alien+Crossfire

No love for Call to Power 2?

I like the combat model in CTP2 and am surprised no other 4x game uses it.

etc

I liked Call to Power 2 a lot and would definitely recommend it.

Whatever you do don’t download it. It’s the expansion to one of the best games ever made, it’s readily available bundled with the original SMAC for under $20 and Brian Reynolds posts on the forum. I can’t imagine worse gamer karma.

Pretty sure buying it at this point does squat for the developers…

Doesn’t matter. It still doesn’t justify piracy.

Doesn’t matter. It still doesn’t justify piracy.[/quote]

???

Doesn’t matter. It still doesn’t justify piracy.[/quote]

???[/quote]
Where am I losing you?

Let’s go through your implied reasoning. You shouldn’t download the game, you should buy it, because:

1. It’s a great game, and you should support the production of great games.
  2. It’s readily available.
  3. Brian Reynolds posts here, and you should pay him money because you’re stealing from a developer you personally know.

None of these matter. 1) The developers are no longer receiving money from its sales, 2) the game is no longer in print, and 3) the expansion pack is almost totally unavailable at retail, you pretty much have to eBay it. Buying it neither compensates the developer or incentivizes the production of more games like it; it’s just accidental income for second-hand stores. I guess if you’re morally offended by second-hand stores having backstock…

It’s not quite as silly as “you shouldn’t download 15 year old games because if you find a way to jump through hoops and buy them they might resurrect the IP and make a new sequel,” but really, it’s just consumer market recycling at this point.

Let’s go through your implied reasoning. You shouldn’t download the game, you should buy it, because:

1. It’s a great game, and you should support the production of great games.
  2. It’s readily available.
  3. Brian Reynolds posts here, and you should pay him money because you’re stealing from a developer you personally know.

None of these matter. 1) The developers are no longer receiving money from its sales, 2) the game is no longer in print, and 3) the expansion pack is almost totally unavailable at retail, you pretty much have to eBay it. Buying it neither compensates the developer or incentivizes the production of more games like it; it’s just accidental income for second-hand stores. I guess if you’re morally offended by second-hand stores having backstock…

It’s not quite as silly as “you shouldn’t download 15 year old games because if you find a way to jump through hoops and buy them they might resurrect the IP and make a new sequel,” but really, it’s just consumer market recycling at this point.[/quote]

Alien Crossfire is available. You can buy it at GoGamer right now. I’ve posted the link in this thread, and others have posted in other threads. I mean if going to GoGamer and spending 20 bucks for SMAC and the expansion is jumping through hoops, maybe you should stick with something more your speed, like slack-jawed drooling.

How about
4) Just because you want something doesn’t mean you need to find reasons NOT to steal it. Well, that’s how it should work.

Of course, he can’t actually use Slack-Jawed Drooling (D11) until he researches both Temporal Biometrics (D10) and Mandibular Fluidics (I10).

The most amusing thing about GoGamer’s Laptop Collection product information sheet is that they explicitly mention Alien Crossfire, presumably so it turns up when you do a search. After all, that’s pretty much the only reason anyone ever buys it. I mean, they’re basically selling you two copies of basic SMAC (the expansion disc has an extra copy) along with some leftover EA stock from 2000.

• Alan

Really? Well that’s new then, never mind. I just remember paying like $60 last year to get it off someone on ebay, because that was the only damn place to get it.

60 bucks!!! Sir, I apoligize. I have wronged you unfairly. Anyone who pays 60 smackeroos for Alien Crossfire cannot be a bad person.

It got pretty absurd there for a while on the Apolyton.net forums. People described their purchasing process like they were hunting snipe.

Speaking of, here’s Velo’s super-obsessive guide to crushing the SMACX AI:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=2c39670e67216238b6d93089c6d05907&threadid=115038

Key insight: embrace the worm. The only way you can really stomp the highest levels is by manipulating the “each worm outbreak increases the ecological tolerance of the planet by 1” factor.

This thread made me dig up SMAC again, but is there any way to run the game in a window?

I could have sworn you could, but I can’t find it.

Edit: the SMACX 2.0 patch & XP compatability update are a pain in the ass to find. Here you go:

http://alphacentauri.2be.cc/patch.html