Ready for the 4x plunge

well I have to thank for the link. SMAX is really hard to find here.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Get it on the cheap. Runs in XP. Very fun without being overly complex.

Let’s go through your implied reasoning. You shouldn’t download the game, you should buy it, because:

1. It’s a great game, and you should support the production of great games.
  2. It’s readily available.
  3. Brian Reynolds posts here, and you should pay him money because you’re stealing from a developer you personally know.

None of these matter. 1) The developers are no longer receiving money from its sales, 2) the game is no longer in print, and 3) the expansion pack is almost totally unavailable at retail, you pretty much have to eBay it. Buying it neither compensates the developer or incentivizes the production of more games like it; it’s just accidental income for second-hand stores. I guess if you’re morally offended by second-hand stores having backstock…

It’s not quite as silly as “you shouldn’t download 15 year old games because if you find a way to jump through hoops and buy them they might resurrect the IP and make a new sequel,” but really, it’s just consumer market recycling at this point.[/quote]

Alien Crossfire is available. You can buy it at GoGamer right now. I’ve posted the link in this thread, and others have posted in other threads. I mean if going to GoGamer and spending 20 bucks for SMAC and the expansion is jumping through hoops, maybe you should stick with something more your speed, like slack-jawed drooling.[/quote]

Hey Ed, maybe you should calm the fuck down. If Go-Gamer wants to sell a product that has been discontinued by their publisher and are now available to the public, then so be it. If some dummy wants to pay for something that’s now available for free, so be it. Anything that is available for download at The Underdogs is legal to the best of their knowledge. They are very concerned about this and it’s why they’ve been around so long. If you’d noticed SMAC is NOT available for download but Alien Crossfire is. Lot’s of Sid’s games are now available for free including Colonization which you used to NOT be able to download. Maybe you should read before you attack people and make false assumptions.

Disclaimer: Home of the Underdogs does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles have been discontinued by their publishers. If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention.

If they’re wrong they’ll take it off.
Putz.

Let’s go through your implied reasoning. You shouldn’t download the game, you should buy it, because:

1. It’s a great game, and you should support the production of great games.
  2. It’s readily available.
  3. Brian Reynolds posts here, and you should pay him money because you’re stealing from a developer you personally know.

None of these matter. 1) The developers are no longer receiving money from its sales, 2) the game is no longer in print, and 3) the expansion pack is almost totally unavailable at retail, you pretty much have to eBay it. Buying it neither compensates the developer or incentivizes the production of more games like it; it’s just accidental income for second-hand stores. I guess if you’re morally offended by second-hand stores having backstock…

It’s not quite as silly as “you shouldn’t download 15 year old games because if you find a way to jump through hoops and buy them they might resurrect the IP and make a new sequel,” but really, it’s just consumer market recycling at this point.[/quote]

Alien Crossfire is available. You can buy it at GoGamer right now. I’ve posted the link in this thread, and others have posted in other threads. I mean if going to GoGamer and spending 20 bucks for SMAC and the expansion is jumping through hoops, maybe you should stick with something more your speed, like slack-jawed drooling.[/quote]

Hey Ed, maybe you should calm the fuck down. If Go-Gamer wants to sell a product that has been discontinued by their publisher and are now available to the public, then so be it. If some dummy wants to pay for something that’s now available for free, so be it. Anything that is available for download at The Underdogs is legal to the best of their knowledge. They are very concerned about this and it’s why they’ve been around so long. If you’d noticed SMAC is NOT available for download but Alien Crossfire is. Lot’s of Sid’s games are now available for free including Colonization which you used to NOT be able to download. Maybe you should read before you attack people and make false assumptions.

Disclaimer: Home of the Underdogs does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles have been discontinued by their publishers. If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention.

If they’re wrong they’ll take it off.
[/quote]

Fuck you asshole. Everything is available for free if you’re a fucktard pirate. I’m sorry if I’ve hurt your feelings by implying that downloading something for free from underdogs that you can easily buy at retail is wrong, but it is. If you have a problem with that, suck my balls.

Putz.

Oh, calling me a dick in Yiddish. The hilarity! The irony! I don’t know how I’ll struggle on in the face of such a withering attack!

Damn, you! Damn you all to hell!!

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to blow up the earth, bury the Statue of Liberty and pave the way for the domination of mankind by intelligent apes. It was an honest mistake I assure you.

Sorry to break in on the flamewar, but does that last comment also apply to yourself? From the Underdogs FAQ:

Is Home of the Underdogs an “abandonware” site?
Yes and no. Many underdogs on this site have been discontinued by their publishers due to disappointing sales. They are therefore abandonware by definition.

But isn’t abandonware illegal?
Unfortunately, yes. Despite the fact that publishers no longer derive revenues from these games since they have stopped selling them (and any revenues from retailers that still sell them were gained a long time ago, at the time of sales), it is illegal to distribute them so long as copyright holders have not released them into the public domain, and 95 years after the games’ release have not elapsed.

Despite the illegal status of abandonware, we believe that we are offering a valuable service …

Seems to me they are fully aware of the non-legal nature of at least some of their offerings.

We all love games here – even the Qt3ers who prefer consoles. I’ve used Underdogs and related sites for games like Darklands that are only available for $60-$70 on EBay. That said, I don’t understand bashing people who linked to a classic game available legally and cheaply. I would always prefer to support the industry and buy a legal copy as long as I can get it for a reasonable price; my goodwill doesn’t extend to premium prices for games released in 1992.

Underdogs will remove a download if they know of a reliable source of the actual game. So, yeah, even they know it’s not legal. They’ve been around so long because they react so quickly to cease and desist letters, and, IIRC, they’re hosted overseas.

So anyway - one of the best 4x games I ever played was Sid Meier’s Colonization. Great game. Like to see them make another like they did with Pirates.

Searched GoGamer, couldn’t find it.

Found it here though…

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=210

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Brass Monkey. :wink:

60 bucks!!! Sir, I apoligize. I have wronged you unfairly. Anyone who pays 60 smackeroos for Alien Crossfire cannot be a bad person.[/quote]

And I apologize to you. I missed this entire part of thread. If I would have saw this I would not have shot of my mouth in my post. :oops:

I can only blame it on sleep deprivation from playing Pirates until wee hours of the night.

When my girly shakes her hips, she sure gets FUNKY

Man, the wheels kinda came off this thing, didn’t they? Shot to hell right about the time Mighty Mooquack popped in. Or maybe it was scharmers.

Anyhoo, I’ve tried the Alpha Centauri demo. Mmm SMACalicious. Except I keep getting mind wormed. But I think I’ll definitely pick up the “Laptop Collection feat. Alien Crossfire”, then move on to GalCiv. Thanks a ton for the suggestions, alla you slack-jawed, drooling, mouth-breathing putzes!

60 bucks!!! Sir, I apoligize. I have wronged you unfairly. Anyone who pays 60 smackeroos for Alien Crossfire cannot be a bad person.[/quote]

And I apologize to you. I missed this entire part of thread. If I would have saw this I would have shot of my mouth in my post. :oops:

I can only blame it on sleep deprivation from playing Pirates until wee hours of the night.[/quote]

Pirates! Damn, I can’t stay mad at anyone on this board. Our shared love for Sid Meiers games is sucking all the vitriol out of me. And if your motivation for calling me a putz was my attack on McCullough, then you were right. I also PM’ed him to go along with my apology above.

60 bucks on e-bay is exactly the point where I start examining the morality of downloading something from underdogs. If I was smarter, I would have realized from McCullough’s posts that he didn’t understand Crossfire was 20 bucks on GoGamer.

So Kumbayah Lord, Kumbayah
Someones playing Pirates!, Kumbayah

Awesome game. Good luck getting it running though. Personally I have a 486/66 used only to play old DOS games.

How is that DOS emulator software at these oldies?[/quote]

Dosbox does a great job!

Its letting MoM run flawlessy on my WinXP SP2 system.

Grab it here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
Using version 0.63 myself.

Here are some tips on configuring dosbox for MoM (They’re for MoO, but they’ll also work for MoM)

http://sirian.warpcore.org/moo1/dosbox.html

Right on Ed. :)