Real or Rumor?... Volume I

Edited the deceptive title

I just don’t think it’ll matter that much… MS needed to have Vice City when the PS2 had it (if not for Sony’s exclusivity deal)…

Getting smash PS2 games a year after the PS2 gets them is not much of a victory. Not if they’re trying to convince people that the game machine they need to have is the Xbox. Can you imagine that marketing spiel? “Look, you can play all those great PS2 games your friends rave about 12 months after the fact.” That’s not a winning tactic.

I thought this was a Star Wars thread. I suggest a title change.

This is great news. The Xbox graphics and draw distance should be much closer to the pc than to the PS2. Of course there are probably not many people who haven’t played it already on one of the two platforms so I am not sure who would buy it.

– Xaroc

Why is there no Princess Amidala in this thread?

You better start signing some treaties or I’m going to blockade this thread.

BLOCKADE!

http://www.poster.net/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-padme-amidala-4900234.jpg

BLOCKADE!

http://digilander.libero.it/virtualcyrano/sfondi/amidala.jpg

BLOCKADE!

BLOCKADE!

BLOCKADE!

BLOCKADE!

http://halloweenscene.safeshopper.com/images/bz0s003i.jpg

(This is fun! :D )

(Said in the most pathetic Lucas-imagined faux-asian mockery voice possible…)

Princess Reekooo…I regret to infolm you that the Thread Federation’s brockade is totarry regal!

Hmmm…that blockade was over quickly.

Next time put up some resistance or something Reeko. The least you could have done was to try to shoot me or get yourself rescued by Obi Tom Chickobi.

Damn.

:(

Would have been a more effective blockade if you’d utilized the power of the IMG tag, Princess.

As many insiders know, the Grand Theft Auto series is supposed to be PlayStation 2 console exclusive, however sources reveal that Rockstar is circumventing the agreement by stripping the Xbox version of the title Grand Theft Auto, and simply repackaging the game as Vice City.

I’d have to think that if Sony paid money for a GTA exclusive, the above wouldn’t really fly.

It is actually not unheard of. Tecmo got around a Dreamcast exclusivity agreement for Dead or Alive 2 by naming the PS2 version “Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore.” And it worked. I would suppose that the wording of the contract would have to be pretty specific for this to happen.

Now I don’t know that it’s such a big deal that the Xbox gets Vice City a year after the PS2. It’ll sell well, but it’s not gonna move Xboxes the way that GTA3/Vice City moved PS2s.

But it begs a VERY interesting question. If this is true, if this works, what about the NEXT GTA game? Let’s say it’s “GTA: Sin City.” Take 2 could bring it out SIMULTANEOUSLY on the Xbox under the name “Sin City”, apparently.

Well Czarina, I don’t like stealing bandwidth.

:D

BLOCKADE!

What?

It is actually not unheard of. Tecmo got around a Dreamcast exclusivity agreement for Dead or Alive 2 by naming the PS2 version “Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore.” And it worked. I would suppose that the wording of the contract would have to be pretty specific for this to happen.

Now I don’t know that it’s such a big deal that the Xbox gets Vice City a year after the PS2. It’ll sell well, but it’s not gonna move Xboxes the way that GTA3/Vice City moved PS2s.

But it begs a VERY interesting question. If this is true, if this works, what about the NEXT GTA game? Let’s say it’s “GTA: Sin City.” Take 2 could bring it out SIMULTANEOUSLY on the Xbox under the name “Sin City”, apparently.[/quote]

Well, if they can make a minor name change and get around an exclusivity deal they signed, Sony’s got some fucked up lawyers. This rumor’s either got the story wrong or there’s more to it.

I thought Rockstar was releasing some Manhunter title on Xbox arnd the holidays. I don’t want a rehashed VC on Xbox (PC and PS2 are enough already!)… though it could sell more, but lets get the ball rolling on the Next Big Thing.

etc

I remember reading a few months ago that Sony and THQ were re-negotiaiting the exclusivity deal- I think it was during THQ’s end-of-year finacial conference call. General speculation at the time was that Sony was letting them out of the deal, in return for the next generation (i.e. PS3) iteration of the series to be exclusive. If true, it would be an incredibly shrewd move on Sony’s part, because they’d rope in all the last few suckers-- oops, I mean people-- who haven’t played the game yet, get them addicted to it, and then have an exclusive killer app. to launch the next gen with. Meanwhile, THQ gets to pump out a quick and dirty port and make some more easy cash while keeping the name in the mind of the public.