Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

AoE4 gameplay reveal. It shows a late medieval city under siege.

I always though they’re gonna make whole history game judging by the teaser. Now that we have some trailer it’s either that or AoE2 timeframe. And trying to top AoE2 - especially now that it got nice graphics and UI and as much content as you can hold - is insane.

Better be whole history…

I can’t imagine a whole history AoE4 comparing favorably to the magnificence that is Rise of Nations, personally.

Jumped in to spectate a game real quick, and they seem have kicked the crap out of the performance issues they were suffering earlier in beta. With the UHD textures at 4k I’m seeing up to 200fps, where early in beta it could be down in the 30s easily. Really looking forward to playing tonight.

“Experience the epic, historical battles that shaped the modern world.”

Just an off the cuff idea based on the video description, but what if they do a Europa Universalis and begin during the later stages of the medieval period and end in the early modern period. You would have some overlap with AoE2 and AoE3, but you could carve out an interesting niche in the transition from late medieval armies into the rise of pike and shot and ending with the full ascendancy of the musket (as pikemen become entirely phased out).

Probably a safer assumption that it will be AoE2’s setting redone though. That seems like a risky idea given how tough taking on AoE2 at its own game is, even more so given the positive reception for AoE2:DE so far. You feel like Relic would have to bring some real points of difference to the table in that case, and then they definitely run into the risk of people staying with AoE2 because they prefer that game. At least AoM and AoE3 had different settings back in the day to help sell them to the fanbase, even if some people eventually went back to the AoE2 multiplayer scene due to preferring its gameplay.

Knights of Honor 2 at least looks just about perfect for a cross between RTS and real-time 4X.

I had a comfortable play with UHD textures at 4k. I turned off bloom (more for aesthetic reasons rather than performance) but kept antialiasing and sharpening. My GeForce 980ti sometimes dipped below 60 fps but not often.

I also thought that UHD textures are superflous even at 4K. I’ve downloaded them cause I was irritated by zoom being too out wihtout it. In the beginning I’ve zommed in couple of times but I was comfortable being zoomed out for 99% of the time.

I’ve played Bapheus scenario and failed it. Still it felt very fresh and reminded me how fun campaigns or scenarious can be in RTS - it was not restrictive at all, allowed me to chose my allies and all that jazz. I’m usually skeptical about nostalgia goggles but this one deserves all the love. It plays much better than AoE2HD just because of UI and zoom distance alone. I still think that standard game is more interesting in Rise of Nations, but its campaigns were meh and tried to shove more or less standard scenarios into risk-like campaign maps. Also no UI scaling doesn’t help too.

It’s not risky, it’s mad. You need to release best RTS ever for it to compare positively to AoE2DE. This one gives you extremely pretty picture with few classic 2D problems but with low system requirements. You get all the expansions for a very low price. It feels extremely polished here and now. It has a fame. Just not seeing it.

I wish they’d added the userpatch hotkey setting for moving between civs when watching a game. Hopefully that will come later. I did part of the art of war challenge, and also did some of the Joan or Arc campaign. From some of the MP games I watched, i should try my hand at ranked. Yeah, I’m not sure the uhd textures buy you much beyond the zoom. Still looks nice though. I have a 2080, and like I mentioned earlier it had a heck of a time with the game for most of beta, and now the performance seems really good. Hopefully they will get the kinks worked out with the servers over the next few days. Much better job than AoE:DE though.

Now I need to relearn my hotkeys.

For $20 (or $15 if you own AoE:DE or AoE2 HD) there is a lot of content even if you never touch multiplayer.

“Time is slightly larger. It starts a little earlier than you’d expect and it goes to the end of the Renessaince.”

Well AoE2 expansion had Attila expansion so I wonder how early they go. Don’t expect them to go full AoE1+AoE2 though anymore. Probably fall of Rome to conquest of America?..

Also he says factions are much more diverse. English are traditional but Mongols are very different. That’s Relic for you.

What I really want from Relic is a modern version of The Outfit, with the humor intact!

@Otagan I see you have this wishlisted. Is this supposed to be a remaster? That could be entertaining. I always thought it and Frontier: Conquest Wars kind got ignored in the midst of Empire Earth and Warcraft 3.

I’m not so sure about this claim though:

Battle Realms is considered by many to be the best RTS games ever made. Back when it was released in 2001, it caused a many month delay of WarCraft III. The staff at Blizzard played Battle Realms and agreed that it was better then their current version of their game.

GOG has Battle Realms + Expansion for $10. I’m also curious if this is some sort of remastered version.

There had been talk about a remake/remaster at some point, but the old screenshots and broken English suggest this is some sort of forgery? Seems dubious to me… the @battlerealms.com email is unlikely to function, as www.battlerealms.com leads to a “This site can’t be reached” message.

Very iffy.

Edit: the original Battle Realms is still very playable, by the way.

I blindly wishlisted the thing at first, but left it on there just to get a notification if it ever materializes.

Both Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2 have mod updated out. It looks good. And no cost to me!

Do you have links or names of the mods?? I own/love both of them but played so much (solo) and grew bored.

Here are the clicks showing them off.

The game closest to Battle Realms is the forgotten 90s B grade game War Wind in gameplay, and the Dawn of War series in voice acting.

It’s plausible the Heroes of War 3 were taken from BR.

Ah, thanks. I played Ultimate Apocalypse a bunch, although it does add a crazy number of units (too much, imho).