Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

If I thought Cossacks 2 was too clunky to enjoy, would Cossacks 3 change my mind?

Isn’t Cossacks 3 just a HD remake of Cossacks?

What do you mean by mod updated?

Yep, but I think some of the DLC adds new stuff to the game? I really enjoy Cossacks 3, BTW, so I’d recommend it, especially if you haven’t played a Cossacks game before/want to enjoy one that’s more modern.

They both have large scale mods that the community uses. They were recently updated.

I posted videos.

@legowarrior this was pretty funny:

If T90 gets it up on youtube soon there also was a great game between Daut (Bulgarians) and Cloud (Cumans) on Oasis this past Saturday.

Great game, but damn, 6 out of the 8 players went as Mongols.

Welp… After a whole month of Early Access, they are changing direction…

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/e52rch/rts_game_year_of_rain_devs_announce_change_of/

Well, I bit the bullet during the steam sale - TW Warhammer 1&2.

Mortal Empires is how I prefer to play, so you did well. The DLC for TW Warhammer 2 is also quite good if you’re interested in any particular faction.

Do you still have to own both games for Mortal Empires?

You need to own Warhammer 1, but it doesn’t need to be installed.

You also need a good book cause turn timers will take minute or two on a greatest system known to man. And TWW is a game where turn #100 may still be an “early game” .

A promising start now that whatever this is went live.

Just bought this and after installation I ran it immediately and my antivirus quarantined it. What am I doing wrong?

This showed up again on my radar. The game is free and built on the WBC 3 engine. Looks like it might be cool.

Brings back very good memories.

How do the WBC games hold up? I played the original Warlords, but never played the battlecry games.

I liked them. I don’t think they hold up all that well because of the quite fast pace and also motor control needed to micro manage the units.

Pixies for example are fast and range and do high damage, but are made of tissue paper. So if you are a fast clicker, you can kite higher level units, e.g. minotaur kings, forever.

Gets quite boring, you need a few minutes of kiting to bring it down.

I don’t think it’s anywhere near as hectic as AoE 2. The eco is fairly straightforward, since you just need to take over mines, and stick miners in it.

You can set a lot of units to automatic behavior, like guarding units, casting spells, scouting, harassing and the like. It makes scouting easier if you send out some scouts to scout to automatically while you get busy capturing your starting mines.

As for kiting, I haven’t really noticed it to much, but then I play as the empire or the dwarfs.

As for the Protectors, it has made a large number of changes to the game. New units and unit balance, the classes and races and magic has been reworked. You now can take factions and purchase faction abilities with the points you get.

Oh for sure I’ll probably get it. WBC 1,2 and 3 are still fun games today.

I never played AoE2 :S