Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

They’ve really made this simple haven’t they?

I admittedly never really played any of the Spellforce games. I briefly played the first one for a hot second. Isn’t it a RPG/RTS hybrid?

Yup, third person RPG action mixed with RTS sequences. I played the hell out of the first one and bought all the rest but haven’t played them until now.

And that’s why you never hire the Office 365 product marketing team for a videogame.

From what I’ve heard, the Campaign in the original game is not as good as the expansion for either of the Stand Alone Expansions. I think Spell Force 3 is probably skip able.

Soul Harvest is less than 8.50. If the Versus version gave you an idea that you might enjoy the game, I would jump into that instead of Spellforce 3. It is a shorter campaign, but your characters progress really quickly and with the ability to create up to 2 extra mercs that you can switch out at any time, you can play with all the combinations of skills (9 Ability trees, plus each combination gets one unique skill, Evocation plus Combat Arts). Plus, you get 5 out of the 6 nations to try out in Skirmish or Multiplayer mode.

Having the 4 heroes in the squad does make it feel a lot more like an RPG then the Skirmish mode though.

But, I did love my Defensive Art/Beguilement Merc. Constitution 10 for the heaviest armor and some sweet buffs.

Yes, and it says the following for the full pvp version:

• Enjoy the full PvP multiplayer experience in Ranked, Unranked and AI matches

Which makes me think you can do skirmish in this version, and are just missing the campaigns?

And I see that @lordkosc has a nice pic showing that :)

100% right. But… I liked the campaign.
But, if you aren’t a fan of RPGs, its probably in your interest to skip the campaign.

I might try the pvp edition first, and if I really enjoy it spring for the campaigns.

We should make time for a comp stomp! Sadly, I only get federal holidays off until my training is done in July, but I’m sure I can make myself available!

I wonder if we can get @Otagan or @Otthegreat interested.

Seems like the pvp edition, or Fallen God has really kicked up interest. In addition to Artosis, Nakamura RTS has been streaming it quite a bit.

So I’ve got all three games installed, and when I go to a skirmish game with the AI, I can select Humans, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Dark Elves and Trolls.

That’s what made me think it might be of greater interest… but, who knows if that can hold people’s attention. Will it be Heroes of the Storm, or will it be Age of Empires 2?

Will you be playing as Dwarves , which in any game is always the best choice? :)

That is my plan when I get it :)

I wanna finish this Troll campaign. Really digging the writing.

Also I guess we should start using the Spellforce 3 thread.

It’s an option, true. If there is a lot more to talk about.

This is vibe I get from that chart…

Seeing all the mentions of peak SC2 and opinions, thought I’d throw in my 2 cents.

To me, SC2 was way less interesting than Brood War because they shifted all the mirco away from units and towards the economy. Sure you COULD utilize good micro for your armies, but it didn’t make as big an impact as BW and it was a way better attention-investment to focus on microing your economy and having a food advantage. Terran MULEs, Protoss warp boosts, Zerg larvae injecting. All stuff that was very uninteresting to me and I never saw why they couldn’t have auto-cast options for it.

Well, I do. The grognard fans kept complaining that it would dumb the game down and require less skill. I never saw “skill” in timing larvae injections. I just saw it as an annoying “APM tax” you had to constantly be paying. The same people made the same argument against including an in-game clock because it would require less “skill” in timing. That’s obviously nonsense, and I thought it was just as nonsense to never have automation options for all the economy stuff.

Me.

More lamenting how it doesn’t seem things have advanced much here in ten years. :(

Certainly compared to other genres.