Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Loaded up my game again, the pirates around the station were gone, so I could continue, upgraded a weapon and bought an afterburner. Took on a mission, and I got totally wasted immediately. Ships and missiles pile on, and the ship keeps changing from tracking my target to tracking damage on my ship, BUT WHO CARES about damage to my own ship? I can’t read that anyway, I NEED to see the enemy ship at ALL times.

I’m probably not going to see any other ships than the garbage one …

Atleast I have Outlaw Galaxy to comfort myself with at times. This game is tough cookie

Hmm, re fps, at least from what my monitor tells me, I’m just getting 60 with nothing special going on around my ship. My turbo setting is on and set to 150 fps max, so I’m confused. I’ve got a 1080 and an i7 6700.

BTW are some of those rumors from the bars red herrings? Because one in particular in the Colorado system sure seems to be. I looked everywhere, scanned etc. Nothing there.

Warped into asteroid at start of mission, then got hit by a wave of missiles in face…game over.

Autoaim, is consistently aiming below or beside target…two different guns ended up in it choosing to not hit with either…

gurgle.

Are you playing on the hardest difficulty?

Can someone explain mining to me? I have a mining laser and I have flown up to several asteroids and used my mining laser on them. I just run out of energy and it just scars the asteroids. No ore, no nothing.

Yeah, you need to buy Bountiful Vista in Eureka, then get it a ship dealer. Takes a while but it’s worth it.

Because it’s so fast and zippy and small it’s brutal in combat because it’s hard to hit, unlike the larger, more lumbering Coyote. I also love the cockpit.

You need the scanner thing as well, under components.

Oh my god. I didn’t know there was more to that menu I knew the bartender mentioned something like that, but then I am looking for where its supposed to go and all I see are radars…

The same applies to me. The problem is also that there’s no quick way to get out of a fight that’s not going well. You have to circle round to find another marker to go to, and often the autopilot will be disabled because enemies are nearby: why?

So I try to boost away in the hopes that the game will allow me to flee, but I usually just explode after a short while. Also: negotiating with pirates via the comms has never led to anything with me (they just tell me I’ll die in a ball of fire, which I usually do when I’m desperate enough to contact them).

It would have been good if the story missions generated more credits, but they don’t? So you have to do the side missions. And with just the starting ship, buying a jump drive seems like a waste of credits to me. Because you’ll get more missions that require you to jump to different systems, but the difficulty ramps up quickly and without an easy means to run away, I always end up dead before long. So I stick around in Texas, doing the go-here-sell-that or sweep-this-area missions instead. Even some of the bounty missions that should supposedly be OK get me killed at weird times.

Also @tbaldree: it would be really great if the game would simply reload the last save game when you die instead of dropping you back to the title screen. That’s quite disheartening and more often than not I simply quit out instead.

Are you boosting away with even power distribution or boosting away with your power allocation set to engines? Doing the latter will get me successfully away from bad guys 95% of the time.

That was going to be my tip, too. Even in the starter scow or my only-barely-faster Sonora, all power to engines+afterburners hasn’t failed me yet.

Another mining question, or perhaps a more general one.
So I have a cargo hold full of iron. I mine some diamonds or something much more valuable. If I eject my iron, then my tractor thing only wants to pick up the iron I ejected. Is there a way to cycle tractor targets? My only work around seems to be to fly away, then drop the iron, and fly back to pick up the stuff I want.

I had a really tough time running away from things too, until last night when I starting changing the power distribution. Putting power to engines means you can keep the afterburners permanently pressed. So far this technique has worked for me. Try it out.

Also, I guess I’m a glutton for punishment, I got the jump drive as soon as I could and I’m slowly making my way to the Nevada system. I’m not earning too much money on the way, since it’s hard to find easy missions in these places compared to the Texas system, but I’m one jump away from Nevada now, and I have the buy/sell information for every location between the Texas and Nevada systems now. I’m hoping that will help me in my merchant guild missions.

Looking forward to the sequel where due to circumstances beyond your control you join the resistance against the oppressive federal authority, Outlaw Galaxy: Rebel.

Are you talking about auto-tracking of the target (holding LT)? The purpose of it is to keep the ship in front of you, but you still have the ability to adjust your aim and should be doing so. It’s there to keep the ship in view, not do the aiming for you.

I basically want a game that plays like Tie-fighter, Wing Commander, or Freespace. Tons of non-random missions tied together with a storyline. All the random missions are just filler.

Now maybe this is Wing Commander vs. Privateer, and RG:O was always billed as more Privateer. I don’t remember if Privateer forced you to grind missions to get to the story, maybe it did. I just know I don’t enjoy it.

Not sure which control device you’re using, but on Gamepad, you can cycle targets with holding LB and tapping left or right on the Dpad. This is how I mine and bypass the iron that I’ve jettisoned.

I will give that another go, thanks. When last I tried it, I still blew up, but I guess I didn’t try to get out soon enough.

Well that is NOT this game. You want something like Subdivision Infinity DX or Hypergate then.

Yea, RGO is definitely Privateer and not Wing Commander.