Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

But I like your porch. And may I say this is some FINE lemonade.

My cats make it! Great, ain’t it! Hee hee hee ← toothless old man laugh

spit take SIR THIS IS NOT LEMONADE.

Well then may I offer you

Oh yes please. (We actually made that for a Klingon-themed movie day we did a while back. It was GREAT.)

Wow 62 new posts! @tbaldree must have announced the release date… dammit!

Hello you must be new here I’m Brian.

It’s not stupid. I’ve never used a controller and probably never will. I grew up with m/kb and never saw the reason for a console. At this stage of my life I’m not interested in figuring out how a controller works. You may disagree with that choice, but it’s not stupid.

If it helps, I didn’t get the whole controller thing either until a few years ago. Now I find them indispensable. I’m not gonna tell you how to spend your money, but an investment in an Xbox one controller is really an investment in better, more varied gaming.

I think y’all are confusing space sim with space dogfighting sim.

SFC had a pretty simple ruleset but it nevertheless tried to simulate commanding a spaceship. Hence, a space sim.

It was not an RTS because unlike CFW and Homeworld you could never directly control more than one ship at a time. You could give general orders to your allies and even switch over to take direct control, but you can do the same in IL-2.

I don’t see why its boardgame roots matter. One of the most realistic space combat games ever made was Attack Vector Tactical, a boardgame with no computer conversion. It’s kind of like insisting that Panzer General is a wargame but Squad Leader is not. Or that Civ 6 is a 4X but the boardgame version of Civ is not a 4X.

Otherwise, there are two major differences from modern space sims. Movement was restricted to a 2D plane, like Rebel Galaxy. And you didn’t need to manually aim your weapons. But automatic target acquisition is probably a lot more “realistic” than the WW2 dogfighting approach used by most other games.

I loved CFWs. I wish more games where like that.

I wish the kickstarter to update it had succeeded.

Rubin! I know who you are, you’re the bastard that gets to rub salt in the wound with your updates. ;)

That’d be me! Hahahahaa

Yeah, I was cruuusshed when the Conquest 2 campaign failed. CFW is my all time favorite space RTS game.

I used a Thrustmaster joystick, that I had as part of my HOTAS setup, to play F1 formula racing, and have wished for a car with a joystick for control ever since. The travel distance of the stick, made really precise acceleration out of corners amazing. Once you got used to it, the unification of speed and steering on one thing was fantastic.

That has nothing to do with much really, except that there have been times I’ve used odd/wrong control schemes for something and loved it.

Have you been able to play cfw on a modern system? Iirc I had some issues when I last tried.

Sure. Loaded up the GOG version recently. Worked fine.

I wanted to single out this comment, because there are games that adjust their onscreen control references to reflect customized control layouts, and change on the fly depending on the control device being used. I was just playing Sublevel Zero Redux for example, and it does this. Could you still add it to RGO?

Sure, that’s the advantage of short-throw sticks. And for many types of games, that’s what you want. It makes the gamepad a good jack-of-all-trades controller.

That said, I can flick either of my joysticks from side to side in, about 1/4 second or so maybe? Good enough for the flight-related stuff.

Thing is though, that ‘noise’ is exacerbated on a short-throw stick. That’s where the advantages of long-throw sticks come in.

I used a HOTAS setup for the Mechwarrior games. But if we’re talking about more traditional shooters, my first choice would be mouse+kb. Same reason I’d want to use a joystick for flight sims, better precision while aiming than from using a gamepad. And devs often add some kind of aim assist to compensate for a gamepad’s lack of precision. Brian mentioned that the gamepad was much better than a hotas setup, which prompted me to ask if RGO is doing something similar.

It actually DOES do that - but what’s button 8 on your joystick? It’s just a mess of… buttons. So we show you the control but it’s not instantly recognizable in the same way that it is on a standardized gamepad.

As far as stick precision, there’s no ‘proof’ I can provide either way, other than that when looking at the input values, I have a lot easier time putting a gamepad stick where I want it and keeping it there, and using a flighstick makes my wrist hurt :)