Receiver: An Unorthodox FPS

Gameplay video with explanation.

Receiver website.

Receiver was created for the 7-day FPS challenge to explore gun handling mechanics, randomized levels, and unordered storytelling. Armed only with a Colt 1911 A1 and an audiocassette player, you must uncover the secrets of the Mindkill in a building complex infested with automated turrets and hovering shock drones.

Sounds like the NRA’s version of Portal.

:-D

“You see reality painted in shades of black.”

Hmm.

Just to keep on-topicish I think this looks interesting and possibly fun.

The mechanics seem pretty cool.

tap tap tap tap tap jump! - fantastic

This part got my attention.

I like the concept of hitting things and doing partial damage. It seems to be pretty deep for what it does. I’m not thrilled with the gun just floating in front of you, but I understand why it was done that way.

This was one of my favorite unique sims of the year, along with Euro Truck Simulator 2. It was neat to play with even though I was done with it after about an hour. Let us know if they keep updating it.

The Giant Bomb guys were mildly amused by this game during a quicklook. They thought it was interesting to learn a little more detail about firearms operation than the average game gives you with the reload, aim, and fire buttons.

One of my favorite FPS experiences just got an engine and tech update.

“If you want to reload one of Receiver’s three handguns, then you press E to remove the magazine, and then tilde (`) to holster the gun. You press Z multiple times to slip any spare bullets you’ve found into the magazine. Then you get your gun back out, press Z to insert the magazine back inside, and hit T to load the chamber. Before you can fire, you’ll also want to press V to turn the safety off or cycle between firing modes, and pull back the hammer with F.

“This greater fidelity of simulation is normally described as “realistic”, and it extends to the game’s violent machinery, each of which is simulated as individual components: motors, cameras, ammo packs. But realism is not why these systems are interesting. If anything, in the case of your guns, abstracting your actions to individual button press feels less realistic. It’s a reminder of all the little ways in which pressing a button is not at all like sliding a bullet into a magazine.”