Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Hi

Tornado DOS flight sim source code released on Github

1993 Tornado DOS flight simulator.

Written mainly in 16-bit x86 assembly language.

Regards
Nitro Tornado Rebooted

It doesnā€™t sound like you were able to rope in any x86 ASM programmers. Sorry, man.

I bought and installed WOFF. Expensiveā€¦ for how it looks and sounds. havent found much time to really get into it. still giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Youā€™re paying for a truly boutique flight sim, a real labor of time, love, and energy. The folks working on WOFF have been slaving away since RB2 days, and thereā€™s nobody better at it.

I picked it up as well. I will be flying around tonight after taking our dog to the vet.

Is your doggie okay?

Yeah, she has a bacterial infection in an eye. Got some ointment to put in it, and she should be fine. Long wait to see the vet though, so she was bit stressed this evening.

Poor puppy, hope she feels better soon!

Enjoy the new awesomeness of the game too!

Iā€™ve made it to February 11 1917 now with the Pup career and I was just promoted to 2nd Lieutenant from Flight Sergeant, meaning I might be asked to lead some patrols again now - something I feel much more comfortable with than I did back around Christmas 1916 when it was the blind leading the blind.

The promotion comes as I claimed my sixth and seventh kills - both Halberstadt DIIIs. The Germans donā€™t really have an answer to the Pup right now. The Halberstadtā€™s arenā€™t good enough to win an even fight without a height advantage, the Albatros DII is old and the brand new Albatros DV is too heavy and underpowered.

The DIII is trouble still in the right hands and the one time I ran into von Richtofen in his DII it didnā€™t matter that I had the better plane.

The Pupā€™s main weakness is that it only has one machinegun but the Germans planes canā€™t get guns on without either a height or numbers advantage, so it doesnā€™t really matter how many machineguns they have.

There is some bad news though. The promotion to 2nd Lieutenant came while I was in the hospital, recovering from another bullet wound - my third.

We had jumped a pair of Halbs near Monchy and Iā€™d bagged my seventh kill, but then when we engaged a pair of Rolandā€™s on the way home I was shot up quite badly. The engine lost all power and coughed oil all over the windscreen and the fuel was all gone in less than a minute and my vision was covered in blood. I managed to put the Pup down near Ervillers and hold on for medical help.

Worse, Iā€™m fairly sure the bullets that hit me came from my own wingman - Andrew Bishop. The Roland I had lined up was standing on its left wingtip beneath me and suddenly I was hit hard. Itā€™s possible the observer in the Roland was a world class shot, but the hole in my plane were in the backā€¦

I wonā€™t say too much about it as Bishop was lost while I was recovering in hospital. At first he was reported missing, presumed dead, but then this was upgraded to dead two days later.

Bishop had actually been reported missing presumed dead once before - in the same sortie where von Richtofen filled me with holes the Baron also shot down Bishop, but he eventually made it back to friendly lines.

Bishop had been stuck on four kills all through January, but earned his fifth and Ace status on his last flight.

My first campaign was a quick one. Clipped some trees on the night training flight while trying to get back to the farm. I lost sight of the trainer as soon as we took off, and was just kind of flying the path we flew during the day. Does it have the ability to record the flight?

Took a break form my long term (and still alive after two months) bomber pilot who has survived no less than 4 ditched landings.

Instead went for a fighter pilot in a Bristol Scout. Lovely plane, until I ripped its wings off at high G desperately trying to get my first kill.

:)

Sadlynot. If we could smush the two games together weā€™d have the look and flight recorder of RoF with the everything else of WOFF. And the UI of some other game entirely.

I run AMDā€™s reLive in WOFF without issue though. If Iā€™m mixing in a large fight on the edge of a cloud bank then the framerate can vary, but everywhere else is at 60fps, even with reLive recording.

Hereā€™s the moment Andrew Bishop almost got his fifth kill - me.

http://streamable.com/zc2ts

Welp. Another death (so this game is a 3 on the qt3 roguelike scale right?) after chasing down a couple of bombers in my Scout. Sadly those gunners lit up my crate and it was another burning death as I plummeted down.

Happily my F.E.2 new pilot of faring better. My firts mission ended up with a 100% kill of an enemy fighter (I even followed the bastard down to make sure) but no one else was around so my claim was rejected, I gues sin future I need to stick around allied aircraft.

Having a blast :)

Yay!!!

Glad youā€™re enjoying it!

Once you down an aircraft use the map to find nearby landmarks if youā€™re on your side of the line. If thereā€™s an airfield nearby put the name of it in the claim and say there were witnesses there. If youā€™re near the front lines, say friendly troops will act as witnesses.

Once you get promoted or get a couple confirmed kills in the bank the claims stop being rejected so often. It might be just anecdotal, but it feels as if thereā€™s some sort of ā€œreputationā€ factor. Since I got to four kills every claim Iā€™ve placed has been approved.

It really is rewarding. Few games give you a sense of time & place like this. You get used to little landmarks near your base and think of it as ā€œah nearly homeā€ or seeing a train bolt by on a track that for days you had assumed was unnused, then there is the changing seasons which brings a smile to your face when you see some glorious new vista in front of you.

Good to know, thanks! Great tips! Do you use labels? I feel a bit guilty doing so in my fighter career (I dont as a bomber) but for the life of me I cant remember the names of enemy aircraft or names of whichever friendly pilots are nearby. So I feel I need them.

I played Rise of Flight for a long time so I know most of the planes Iā€™m fighting and if you scroll down in the claim book there are options to just claim a ā€œsingle seaterā€ and some other more generic choices if youā€™re not exactly certain.

Thereā€™s also some give in the system because my sixth claim was for a Halberstradt III and on looking at the screenshots I took, it was clearly a Halb II, but I was credited anyway.

Because the graphics are pretty muddy compared to RoF, I wouldnā€™t feel bad about using labels at all - Iā€™d even suggest pausing at the moment you think youā€™ve got a kill and flipping labels on to check what it was and also to see if you have squadron mates in the area so that youā€™re picking the right name as a potential witness.

I didnā€™t have to use any of this in RoF, but in WOFF I must use dots to have any chance of seeing enemy planes and then I use the target bracket too because at 60 yards in WOFF the planes become almost indistinguishable.

Use whatever it takes to keep the game fun for you.

Good advice. Thanks again!

That is indeed excellent advice, thank you!