Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Grapevine has it that Il-2 is getting its Next Big Patch tomorrow… Stoked for new SP career mode and dual layer clouds. With luck that should be able to fling our “eager craft through footless halls of air…” with that :D

Oooh, I have been waiting for that for quite some time… I don’t do MP, and I had finished already most of the SP content.

Il2 patch 3.0 just dropped. It. is. Glorious.

There’s an increase in view distance from 40clicks to a whopping 150. And my 1070 is not complaining. In fact, frames have been smoother on my rig than they were before. The clouds look better, as does the ground. More contrast or something, I dunno. Looks better. The windshield gets wet when you fly through them. That’s neat too.

They added meaningful single player to the game. Perhaps not up to Wings over Flanders Field, but miles and miles better than what there used to be. You have a pilot character with a backstory, rank, stats and such. The rest of your squad is ‘people’ too. In fact, every pilot in theatre is. I wonder (hope!) that if their skill will increase as they survive more missions.

Sweet, thanks - time to update!

Reaaaaaalllllllyyyy…

Oooh! Thanks for the heads up

Wait…which Il-2 is getting the update?

The current one, from 777 Studios/1C - Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban.

Noticed that the Oculus Rift without VR controllers is currently just $249 at Amazon. Given that you don’t want the controllers for flight sims anyway (much better with a real joystick), that’s pretty awesome. If I’d known that was coming I wouldn’t have picked up the Dell Windows Mixed Reality setup for my second rig! (Though come to think of it, two Rifts on desks that are across the room for each other would probably be problematic, so probably good I went the way I did.)

Yes, considering trackir was $130 or so that is not bad at all. Definitely worth the price.

with the new SP campaigns it is SO worth it. Everybody who owns a stick and a rift should own this.

Is the battle for moscow dlc worthwhile?

its a map and a bunch of planes. you decide. to me, i-16 is

OK, so I bought il-2 on sale and I have a question. If I let go of my joystick my plane enters a shallow right bank and a not-so-shallow dive.

In Rise of Flight the planes all had a tendency to climb when I went hands free and I cancelled this out with the axis curves, setting the neutral point to a slight dive. I didn’t immediately see those curves in this game, are they hidden somewhere or is this something I should be trimming out with flight surfaces?

Thanks!

Never mind! I found the curves… just to the right of where you assign the axis you want to pitch/roll/yaw and my joystick was completely off-center by default, so that’s sorted now.

Put the game on “I’m an idiot” mode with simplified physics and flight models and ran some quick missions and had a (literal) blast. Looking forward to diving into the career mode.

Good on you for finding that out. You may try non-simplified physics and flight but keep the engine simplified for a more hands-on flight experience. Most of these crates arent terribly hard to drive.

Far Cry 5 actually has some pretty decent air to ground combat/dogfighting.

/ducks