Recent air combat sim recommendations?

About 40% of the time I flew the Dreidecker I didn’t kill myself, so how hard can these things be?

I’ve been flying WWI crates for so long that I’m overly reliant on the rudder, so I need to get out of that habit and my brain apparently can’t get around “pull the throttle back to go faster” so I’m going to need to reverse that axis.

I had a run in the La-5 and 109F yesterday, in some deliberately one-sided contests with some light bombers. Shooting down a Ju-87 was made harder by my joystick than by any resistance it put up, as I couldn’t get the fine control needed to line up what’s ultimately a fairly small target.

Amusingly as soon as my first rounds hit it the pilot went all “later shitlords!” and bailed out, leaving the gunner still firing at me, possibly unaware the front half of the crew had left without him. The Stuka went into a gentle right bank and when it started to lose lift and dive the gunner finally noticed his relationship status had been changed to “single” and he jumped out too.

The 109 felt like a nicer plane to fly and the Pe-2 is a bigger target, so downing those was a cakewalk. So much so that I forgot they don’t want to be shot down and I got lazy behind the third one and took a .50 round through my windscreen, which got my attention.

I think I’m going to have to pick up the Moscow expansion, simply because I want to run a 110 career. Because I’m a masochist.

good. goooood. <./palpatine>

The finer you trim your crate, the better your gunnery. almost all of them have elevator trim, which is what counts most here. Try aiming for wing roots. Detached wings are marvellous at convincing people to part company with their aircraft.

These two are agnostic about wings.

That cannot end well :D

Faith in the glory of the revolution and the strong will of stalin will keep them aloft.

The terrain and map is pretty cool as well.

And the I-16. Real men fight the luftwaffle hightech uberplanes in a communist contraption that could have been designed by disney and has a mallet as the primary repair tool.

I mean, just look at it:

What kind of performance are you guys getting in vr with il-2? I guess maybe I need to lower the settings, but it was not hitting 90 fps. This was with a 1070 and oculus hmd.

I have a 1070 and a rift and am perfectly happy with 45 fps. 90 would be nice but shadows, view range and details in ground and clouds are worth a little more to me. Its all a matter of personal preference of course.

It’s why we have lots of sliders as the PC master race.

It was feeling weird with the 45 fps with asw or whatever they call it. I’ll have to play around with it some more.

I have previous with the I-16 in a certain other game. Including this moment, which is a replay of one of my favourite landings, after a nervy escape.

Yes, that plane isn’t bad in War Thunder. Cue cries of tHe RussiAn bias!

Nice vid btw.

@vyshka I punch ctrl-numpad1 if and when it goes wibbly-wobbly-woozy on me and that sorts it nicelike.

This just happened today. Next week the Hornet gets let out (in a very early version, so lacking most of its tools and toys)

This got me so hard that that video should have been marked NSFW. And I don’t even pretend pilot any more.

I feel the same way. Like… whoa.

That shot of the freak in the huey playing baby bird falling out of the nest… I gots to give that a shot lol!

If I had a VR setup, I would go home, buy the map, and do the loop over the Burj Khalifa.

That looks amazing. Having missions come available that simulate action that’s actually going on today is going to be weird, though. I like my air combat historical or fictional.

plenty of shit happened there or damn near happened in the 70s and 80s.

me? im perfectly content to fly an F-5E across the strait from bandar abbas to rocket some parked planes. no need for much context or background. flying at wavetop level at 900kph all else vanishes. fucking awesome.

and next week we are doing carrier traps! fuck yea!