Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Pretty busy with Hornet and A-10 at the moment, but I’ll probably fire it up at some point. It is just so hard to go back to a flat screen. I checked their forums and looks like there are no plans to incorporate VR due to the age of the code. I imagine there are plans to add Falcon to DCS, but that will probably take quite a while.

Good thing I like the hornet best:)

Watching some Flying Circus videos. Everything looks the same except the terrain and the lighting I think. Same aircraft textures. Same terrible AI that gets locked into a turn fight even when it’s at a disadvantage, which makes playing turn fighters pointless in single player.

Anyone take the leap on this yet? I am going to spend $70 on this, aren’t I? I want WW1 air combat in VR so bad.

Doesn’t appear to be up on Steam yet, though. I’m wondering how that’ll work if I’ve got IL2-BoS in Steam.

It will work fine. Buy one piece of il2 on steam, rest in their store. All there in one app.

The DCS phantom has been pushed back to make the F16 happen quicker. So yeah DCS viper is happening.

The better warthog extensions are engineered to have a weakspot at or above the threading to ensure it breaks and not your $200 stick of joy.

I have flown a TON of falcon4 back in the day. Then maintaining the installation became too much of a hassle and there were other games that needed playing.

Some pr0ns

That being said, there have been very, very few sims whose AI knows how to B&Z properly.

That’s okay, because:

1. Being consistently B&Z’d out of the sky with random precision gets old fast;
  2. Yanking & Banking has always been more fun.

The F-4 is in the pipeline? Sweet.

Yes man, current pipeline looks like this:

ED ate Belsimtek and are doing F-16, AH-1S, Mi-24P and in the more distant future F-4E.

Razbam (of harrier and mirage fame) are doing MiG-23, MiG-19 and F-15E.

Heatblur (who made MiG-21 and Viggen when they were leatherneck ) are doing the glorious F-14A and- B.

I have a hazy recollection of the original thrustmaster stick being modeled on the F-4, but don’t know if that is true.

Looks like I am going to be spending a lot of money. When can we expect Terrain: Central Europe? :)

AFAIK Thrustmaster sticks always have been modelled on the vipers’. The rhino had nothing remotely like a modern HOTAS.

The original thrustmaster was just a stick, without a throttle wasn’t it?

Edit: Digging through an old CGW online, it looks like they did have the throttle originally I think you had the option to buy them separately which is how I ended up with my first thrustmaster flight stick back then. Yeah, not an F-4 stick though.

Actually, look at this:

and

Edit: My memory isn’t going bad:

Holy shit you are right!

No, I can’t play flight (or driving) sims without VR anymore. :)

I’ve never actually read the top of this thread before. So cool to see things turn around from this period. The current IL-2 offering is just fantastic.

So I’ve been trying to get my son into programming for some time. He’s a fairly typical boy; loves nerf guns and explodey video games. Smart, but not all that interested in “work for work’s sake”. We severely limit his time with the games.

Earlier I sat through 30 mins of tutorials for the DCS mission builder and was pleasantly impressed with the ease and sophistication. This thing can be pure point and click GUI, through moderately complex trigger systems, through full on scripting.

What the heck. I sat down with my son to show him. Whoa! He started talking really fast and his imagination exploded. He wanted me to make a “Black Ops” mission and rolled his eyes when I asked him exactly what he meant by that. He pointed to the sea, “put an aircraft carrier there and three ships to guard it. Now add some guns to shoot at your plane on the way.” With a few clicks they were there.

“But son, I only have an F18. I’ll blow up in two seconds with all that.” He rolls his eyes.

“Put your friends over here. Don’t you know Black Ops means there are tons of people? You need a LOT of friends” I dutifully added some A10s.

Then I showed him the trigger system, how I could set an area where if my jet flew in, the A10s would spawn and go after the AAA. I showed him other possibilities using that system.

How great it was to see his eyes light up at the possibilities.

“So you can actually get in your plane and fly this?”

“Yup.”

I’m not so much into my son joining the army when he grows up, but if he is going to play games, this seems like a pretty decent compromise. At least he gets some real world knowledge - geography, coordinates, gps, etc. - along with programming. And I get a wingman:)

Not at present, but I don’t have the setup for VR right now, and I think BMS is still miles ahead of anything else as far as dynamic campaigns go.

Regarding Falcon, I still dream of it, want another one, a Falcon 5 that has the graphics of DCS, the campaign of Falcon 4, the RPG elements of Falcon 3, the mission planning and strategic gameplay of Tornado and the UI and gaminess of the dynamix Aces games.

Not asking for much, am I?

As for Falcon 4 BMS, glorious as it may be, I ain’t flying without my goggles no more sir. It is in the past for me. Fondly, well remembered past.

Just give me an F16 in DCS and I will be happy enough!

I got an F/A-18 and I’m like a pig in the mud :D

I’ll be in my bunk.