Recent air combat sim recommendations?

It’s also a Sikorsky, not a Huey (see @Fishbreath post about Internet, Military sims, aging men and nitpicking).

Thanks guys, Huey it is!

The Mekong delta, yesterday:

It might have been my mission , but it sure as shit was the Chief’s boat!

It’s easy, you just lead em a little less!

That wheel was a dead giveaway, si o no?

Si! I mean Oui! I mean, Inspector!

Hmm, now I’m feeling ornery. Seems to me that said grumpy old men have alienated lots of folks over the years and helped limit the genre. Where the heck is Falcon 5? Surely #4 sold well?

“Think about the children” shouldn’t even be a concern here. Nor “Feel lucky that you get one good modern combat sim”.

Guess I should look in the mirror. Time to get all meta. I think we will have to work a grumpy old man into Time-Pilot as a character. I’m sure we can come up with some mobius time paradox as a commentary.

On a happier note, mission #2 is coming along well. Tentatively titled “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” (or may go with “Hunting Wabbits”). This one will also be in Normandy, although we will switch to Caucuses and Persian Gulf later.

You have my permission to feature @scharmers as a character. he be properly grumpy.

Good stuff! I hope next weekend I can play the first mission. The last weekend was busy preparing for my sons first birthday party and then actually attending said birthday party. I am too old for this shit ;)

Congrats on the tikes’ Bday bro! Soon he’ll walk and then you can learn him to fly :P The warthog stick, being full metal milspec is amazingly kiddieproof.

Thanks mate! That is most assuredly in the plans and was one of the primary reasons I considered reproducing! Sometimes when you struggle to find new recruits for our arcane hobby there is only one solution - to breed your own. :-) He is only one year old but already loves to stare at Dad’s model aeroplane collection so the promise is there. ;-)

Looking forward to some DCS downtime. It’s one of the few things I truly find relaxing these days. Sometimes I just fly around without shooting anything to unwind after a day at work. I have not yet bought the Normandy map, spitfire and WW2 assets - will do it this weekend and have a crack at Anklebiter’s MAGNUM OPUS. Something to look forward to!

Normandy map + WW2 assets are downloading as I type. I read the mission description - love the concept of “Father George”! ;-) Looking forward to taking it for a spin this weekend!!

Heatblur (who are building the F-14 Tomcat) just dropped a doozy.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219346

Jesus. The art assets and detailing are INSANE. The A-6 folding wing detail… The F-14 cockpit textures…

Simply amazing. If they drop it as a preorder on October 7th my wallet will be taking more damage.

Awesome!

We are in the thick of Mission 2 now. I think you are going to like the plotline of that one, as well as the overall campaign.

As mentioned, we are new at this, and mission 1 is “beta”. Any and all suggestions / criticism welcome.

I still get a chuckle out of employing “power-ups” in DCS. I can just imagine the veins in a mostly bald head throbbing and the angry crackle of keying an indignant forum post.

OH MY FREAKING WOW! The details… the rivets… SUCH GOOD RIVETS. Perfectly weathered. Just a hint of metallic wear.

I’m not kidding. I feel so happy that in this life I get to enjoy this software. Day one preorder for me.

Would be awesome if that leads to a full a-6 module at some point.

Yes it would and perhaps it will.

Those cockpit shots are rendered?