Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Heh. The MiG-19 recently got released for DCS. It’s hella fun. Pew pew of the cyka blyat variety and two big fuckoff afterburners. Its a fun ride. Pretty
Iight on the switchology because its radar is only marginally useful at night or in the soup.

Fighting F-5 terminator bots with it is fun. Also quite doable.

A couple more here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/

And just a couple days ago an ED employee was arrested by the US government for dealing in F-16 manuals. ED released a statement saying that nothing he had was used by them. They they release these screens right after.

Just a tone-deaf response by them.

Either that or… they are telegraphing strength. They shall not be phazed, not be undone by this. They are also opening preorders next week, perhaps to raise funds for Olgierds legal defence?

Anyway, viper! Its the pit I have the most hours in over the years, falcon AT, falcon 3.0, falcon 4.0… and now finally DCS and thus VR. Sweet.

Yeah, no. They could have waited a week or two. As it is, they are either acting clueless, or “showing strength” by thumbing their nose at the US government. That’s how it looks anyway. Plenty of 'mericans will take exception, especially since they are Russians.

Being a responsible 'merican myself, I will for sure pick this up on day one just to understand what type of intel the Russians have to help counter it. ahem.

Actually, not really, because, well, and I hate to tell you this…

We are all figments of an alien imagination while it is dreaming??

Posted my impressions of the Rift S in the VR gaming thread.

The tl;dr is that sims look dramatically better in the S than in the original Rift or standard Vive. No screen door at all. Super-sharp instrument panels and scenery; zero regrets on the upgrade from the stock Rift.

Thanks @Editer! Very interested in this as a birthday gift for ME :)

Ordered my Rift S; as I’m in Europe ordering from Amazon seems like I will only get it first week of June. A good reason to get some DCS in this weekend on my CV1 so I can gawp at the differences :)

Anyone preordered the Viper yet?

I preordered in my head but will not give them any actual money until the day I can fly it.

I preordered the FW-190 but not the Viper to send them a message about prioritization. :)

(I’ll give them Viper money when the 20% discount is about to expire.)

I’m not giving DCS another penny for anything until they stop spamming early access aircraft and give some love to the core engine.

(In other words, I’m likely never buying anything for DCS ever again, unfortunately)

Its not like the core engine got rebuilt from the ground up only a year ago.

As soon as I have funds available I’m reserving me my very own viper.

It didn’t. The renderer and shaders got rebuilt. The licensing front-end got rebuilt. The guts of it is still LOMAC, complete with its single-threaded, “P4’s are gonna scale to 10Ghz” programming methodology. The AI is the same as LOMAC. The single-player is the same as LOMAC. Everything but the pretty is essentially still LOMAC. It just has a bunch more unfinished aircraft now to choose from.

And VR and I’m happy as a pig in the muck with it. Sure it aint perfect. But its there and Strike Fighters 4 isn’t. Or Aces of the Fulda Gap. Or Falcon 5.0…

[Shrug] I can basically put up with one ArmA’s worth of jank in my gaming life… and ArmA pretty much takes up that space. DCS tries a lot, but it fails a lot, too. I’d rather have a uglier sim with less fidelity that caters more to SP. YMMV and all that.

I’ll be taking an Emil in BoX up later tonight though, and I’ll send you a screenshot of when I prang it trying to take off

And when you got that down, turn off rudder assist and do it in a MiG-3 }-)

No thanks. That snowy take off practice is like driving a 9 iron into my crotch

Heh naw man, ground handling of the DCS spitfire is far worse.