Recent air combat sim recommendations?

No, in the hornet you rarely if ever need trim.
It’s just something aviators who have grown used to planes that are not flown by a comittee of computers are very used to and fond of and feel naked without.

Sure, but I have no idea what frames I get. I downgraded my drivers to version 446.16 (may 15 '20) and my 1070 is pumping it rapidly enough. SteamVR is set to 50% res.

Notice MSAA and SSAA are both off. If you must, turn MSAA on, but leave SSAA off. Never, ever turn both on. The universe will discombobulate and Cthulhu’s thousand year reign of terror shall commence.
Cockpit display res is something you can turn down while you are busy with basic stuff like take-off, landing, getting from A to B and shooting sidewinders at bots. But the max res is handy when doing things with the radar and target pod.
Shadows are expensive. I find turning them off makes the thing looks too shitty, so I rather suffer reprojection artifacts than a shadowless world.
Trees visibility is as low as it will go without getting them pop-in, while the Preload Radius helps keep the thing fast. M2 SSD’s make the point moot, but anything less and it’s something you want to maximise.
Anisotropic Filtering is very much needed. Turn it up as far as it can go, makes roads and runways look un-shitty.

And that’s about it for my 9600K, 32gb, 1070.

Oh, one more thing. In your controls menu, go to the UI layer tab. Bind a key combo to VR reset and perhaps some buttons if you have any left over to VR zoom and VR spyglass zoom. Those are handy to get a bead on distant things. Or minute things in the pit.
Every machine has a general tab in its control screen which contains “Clickable mouse cockpit on/off : Lalt + C”, perhaps this is the thing you were looking for? To turn off the helmet mounted display, it’s a rotary knob on the right hand side of the dashboard, circled in amber:

My problem is this :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/c8wikr/is_there_a_way_to_disable_vr_head_tracking_from/

This is going to be a real problem if I can’t somehow adapt something. It’s just too hard to keep my head still while I try and click buttons with the mouse.

Try alt-c. On my rig, the mouse cursor is semi-independent from head tracking. As it should be. Might be that. Might also be…

Try these. This is the VR tab. Use Mouse and Cursor Confined to Game Window.

Yep, already had it set that way.

Hahaha I’m such a dork (and small). Grabbed some old small speaker stands and my old Saitek X52. 4 pillows to make me tall enough and a step stool.

That speaker stand idea is brilliant!

Is there something special I have to do to get the afterburners to work?

If you have the detent thing off in the option screen, no. Just shove it into overdrive onto the highway to the danger zone. Check an external view if the noise leaves you unimpressed. Or your engine readouts (lower left console)

That’s a beautiful pit Jeff, I thought you were getting a new chair? Hasn’t happened yet? How did the old saitek hold together? Did you know the hotas in elite dangerous is a 1 on 1 replica of it?

Hey guys check this out:

Awesome clouds are coming to our favourite switchology simulator. Also of note is easymofe for blowing up ships. Note that in this vid, apparently there’s no need to identify the targets.

When do we get those gorgeous clouds??

Asap, expect it soon after the Russian holidays are over. Word is the 13th.

I want to hear more about IL-2, which I have been starting to “play” in VR and quickly bought almost all of the dlc including flying circus. What are your recommendations for good starter planes, campaigns, game modes, and realism settings?

Turn any and all engine management off.

The P-38 is a stable beast, with all of its guns in its nose, and there are no torque concerns (as long as both engines are running). It is also a very effective fighter. Just don’t go overboard when diving.

Other newbie recommendations: start in the air. Simply taxiing many of IL-2’s warbirds is a tear-inducing frustration involving toe brakes, rudder/brake connections, tail wheel fixing, and other junk.

No start on the runway! Taking off is alot of fun, and with WW2 planes you’ll get more use out of your rudder pedals (or twist axis) than in a whole trans-Atlantic flight in msfs.

0eb9db6268ed9740a2e54e68f6f426da

You’ve never tried that MiG-3 take-off in the snow mission, have you?

The very antithesis of fun.

Yes, the rudder is useful in the air and by all means WWII require a rudder axis on your HOTAS. But how the rudder operates the ground handling varies from aircraft to aircraft, and it’s just another rivet to count.

Start in the air!

I’ll start on the ground. I enjoy take-offs (and landings). The more interesting question is what I do between them.

It just goes to show how many audiences sim designers have to please.

• Schurem: Full systems simulation. Where are the circuit breakers?
  • DennyA: Give me one-key startup and automatic engine management, but I want to fly the mission from takeoff to landing.
  • Scharmers: Drop me into the combat zone in air and let the shooting commence
  • BrianRubin: Where are the lasers?

I’m “light hardcore.” I want all the planes to perform realistically, and have realistic capabilities, but I’m frankly okay with simplified systems and radar. My ultimate sim would have realistic relative plane performance – don’t dogfight a MiG-17 in an F-105 – but I’d rather see AI pilots employ realistic tactics and behavior than see every minor radar mode simulated in excruciating detail, if developers have limited resources.

Oh I do like all of “your” sims as well. I wouldn’t want circuit breakers instead of a fun mission with a beginning, a happening and an epilogue. I have more hours on E:D than on Il-2 according to steam. Pew Pew lasers indeed!

Good AI is a dream we’ll be chasing for a long time I’m afraid. It’s so rare, and it’s so easy to see through the smoke and mirrors once systems and flight modelling becomes more complex than a bare minimum.

Doing a radar in excruciating detail takes a different kind of developer. I’m afraid it’s easier. If you look at the latest vid from wags on the hornet’s Ground Moving Target mode, welp, the detail ain’t all that excruciating either. That thing is almost the same level as Strike Fighters 2 in it’s level of detail.

I think we’d all be pleased by a Strike Fighters 3, if only it be created by someone less… idiosyncratic… than TK.