Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Yeah, good point. DLSS3 doesn’t even work in VR.

Wings Over the Reich got a new expansion, Battle of France. It takes place before the Battle of Britain, and your squad can transition from the Battle of France to the Battle of Britain. It looks like it’s coming along nicely.

Yo bitches,

If any of y’all fancy using aircraft to shoot at things in VR, using software written and/or significantly maintained after 2010, both Il2sturmovik.com and digitalcombatsimulator.com are running spring sales. Get 'em while they’re hot (and dirt cheap).

First new Pacific war flight sim in 20 years. It’s super early and not fully funded, but hoping hard!

DCS Sinai map released Trailer here

The night lighting in particular looks amazing.

Looking forward to taking it for a spin today.

They also updated the Gazelle FM. I heard it’s good, but I haven’t tested yet.
So next month, and F4 of some kind or a mud hen? Either way, many 500 pounders shall be trucked.

So the developer of Tiny Combat Arena has been gushing about this new dynamic campaign for DCS.

It’s enough to aaaactually make me think of trying DCS.

Lemme take a look at it later this week, I’ll give a review. I can already tell you it’s a multiplayer thing. No way the DCS AI is up to playing anything like that.

According to the FAQ it can be done solo, but I’ll wait to hear your thoughts.

Don’t

@schurem

Movie gif. Ted Knight as Judge Smails in Caddyshack stands in a crowd and screams at someone offscreen, punctuating every syllable with a lot of sass. Text, "Well, We're Waiting."

So, are the rumors/Hoggit discussions actually true? Did the Mudhen actually get released in reasonable EA shape? Is there synthetic ground radar?

Oh yes it’s in far better shape at day three than any of the other Razbam launches were, or ED’s major jets for that matter.

It has beautiful radar simulation that is so intricate and esoteric that I wouldn’t recognize a bug in it if it bit me. The flight model is fun and may need some polishing but it’s eminently workable. The machine feels heavy and tremendously powerful. This is also where I walked flew into a more serious bug as fuel flow can go negative in some flight regimes &)

As for payloads, there’s dumb bombs and basic laser guided ones. Nothing fancy yet. And air to air missiles too of course. Standouts are the durandal runway buster and the GBU-28 mcguyver bomb (a 5000 pound bunker buster jury rigged from battleship artillery tubes in the early 90s). I haven’t managed to hit jack shit yet.

JDAM and SDB are coming later, as well as GBU-15 and the smartbombs that got rocket motors strapped to them.

The mudhen has fairly clear UI. Its is much less of a mess compared to the A-10C. Multiplayer backseat driving is also in, so you can get your kid to work the radar and FLIR from the backseat. Still it is an intricate machine and it has plenty rivets to count.

Don’t think this has been mentioned yet. Here’s hoping it’s more Project Wingman (dev actually finished it) and less Vector Thrust (unapologetically abandoned).

I’m always scared about these one-man-show flight sims, the devs usually are full of spunk at the beginning but as the realities of what time-consuming technical monsters combat sims are start to sink in…

You can get in on the playtest from the Steam page.

The playtest is fun and the dev is super nice so I’m hopeful.

I’m sorry, I haven’t gotten around to tinkering with this yet. Between family life and the strike eagle release there just wasn’t the time. I am hitting stuff now ;)

No pressure on my account.

Ok, I just tried out the Nuclear Option playtest, and it is a lot of fun, even at its current state of development. It strikes a pretty great balance between arcade and sim, kind of like how War Thunder does, but… not a F2P hellscape of online multiplayer toxicity. Kind of reminds me of how Gunner Heat PC is trying to be both accessible, but also a simulator. Also maybe VTOL VR (without the VR), or Tiny Combat Arena.

I just love that it supports controllers so well. Like, I don’t have to drag out the HOTAS and set everything up, I can just plug in the controller.

The “campaign” war mode thing is a blast. Starting out on the air to ground plane, ranking up into the jets etc.

It is free, and is definitely worth checking out. Worked with my Xbox controller immediately, though I had to disable mouse steering, as it was on even with a controller disconnected.

Awesome tip, thanks!

It’s heresy, but you can actually play some sims, especially WW1 or WW2 ones to a pretty reasonable extent with a gamepad.

It’s not as realistic, which is kinda the whole point of a sim, but I’ve cut corners and played Il-2 1946, Il-2 BOS and Rise of Flight with a gamepad and flown just fine :)

Sure, but it is nice that this is designed to be used with controllers in mind.

There isn’t much work you need to do to get it working.

There’s people playing competitive PvP DCS with a gamepad. And it’s not a heresy, it’s a convenience. If it makes the thing more accessible, that’s a good thing.

Of course, a HOTAS is a more comfortable way of doing most DCS things, but for some functions, say AH-64 gunner or F-15E wizzo, a gamepad is actually the preferred way to play amongst the DCS community.