Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Re: jumping in and out, you can basically do one flight a day, else [BoB] gets confused on subsequent missions that day.

I actually volunteered to look at that a year or two ago, and I’ve got the source lying around on my hard drive, but I never really got to it.

Well one of my biggest beefs was that the autopilot sucks. It would crash into other planes all the darn time. In WOFF it works pretty flawlessly except when trying to engage planes. Then it gets a bit wonky.

I’m adjusting my backlog due to the intermittent arrival of twins. I plan to drop BoB: WoV 2 because I don’t like WWII (yet?) and I want to see if 777 Studios can make a decent career mode this time. I’m also dropping Longbow 2. I dinked with it, but it’s a bit too old to invest a lot of time. I got a lot of it from EECH and I will still get dynamic campaign switchology from Falcon 4.

I know, I won’t have time to play the ones I have left either. But cutting down a backlog takes one step at a time.

Just need to squeeze in a few Channel missions in RoF to get to a stopping point…

Is 777 even planning on focusing on the career mode more for this new one? I haven’t watched the project at all, but it seems all their fans are focused on online for better or worse. I used to play online all the time with Red Baron 3D so i get it, but I just don’t have the time or effort to deal with other people.

Just looked it up and it doesn’t sound like my cup of tea. To play the single player campaign you need to be logged online which seems odd. Shrug different strokes and all that. Plus I’m not all that interested in the setting.

Whaaat? It was the the battle that gave us the only two female Aces!!! That, for me , makes it more interesting than any other WW2 front…

Hmm I’ve never read anything about it. I’ll check it out when I get time, but honestly I’ll be shocked if the new game has anything in the way of a good campaign. Just from reading the notes you have to “beat” a mission to move on. Ugh…

I don’t know about the campaign. I’m assuming they are doing like if RoF (dynamic + static campaigns) but I haven’t been following. I just want a modern manageable Stalingrad Sim.

As for reading on the setting:

In switch-flipping news, I took a video of me flying the Ka-50 in DCS. There’s not a ton to see over the course of the 55 minutes, but I was way too lazy to cut out the boring parts.

Speakin of DCS, there was a steamsale and i bought Flamin cliffs 3 and the ground forces thing. Havent put much time in yet though. Lookin forward to sling some missiles again. I should still know how.

Shadow mod that’s still in the works has a beta build posted. Looks freaking amazing from the few minutes I spent with it. New version is on page 40.

I am tactically getting my butt kicked in Rise of Flight. Coming from WW2 sims, what tactics are different and what should I be focusing on in fighting in a WW1 biplane?

Are you having problems 1v1 or with everything?

Was looking around for museums that I could visit during the spring/summer and found out there’s an awesome spot just two hours from my house. I can’t wait until it’s warm enough to go! WOFF really kicked my love of old planes back into gear. 75 bucks and you can take a flight in a biplane. How cool is that? Anyone ever go here?

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

A friend of mine went to grad school at RPI, and went to Old Rhinebeck a couple of times. I understand it’s a pretty awesome place.

I’m doing quick missions and me + 2 AI meet our opponents, 3 AI, at the same altitude and start furballing. I can’t seem to get around to their tail a lot of the time (They are good at turning!)

That might be the difference between turn n burn and boom n zoom we talked about earlier. Try increasing the starting altitude of your team, or swapping planes between teams.

Oooh! Oooh! I know this! Which planes are you flying?

Actually, I’d better let one of the vets answer. I still can’t really get the whole boom’n’zoom rope-a-dope thing to work, really.

Hey kids, WoFF is $10 off this weekend. ;)

I have a Steam code for the Su-25 survey-fidelity module, if anyone wants it. It’s the easiest DCS World plane to learn, and it has a great campaign.

Edit: claimed.