Recommend a Good Western

When I think Western, I always think Clint Eastwood.

I love the spaghetti westerns and have many fond memories of watching and re-watching them. But I want something from the Golden Age of Westerns, which I guess is the 50s, but I don’t know Westerns from that era too well. I know I watched some when I was a kid, but they all seem to come together in an amorphous blur of black and white, hooves, and Indian headdresses. All I can think of is John Wayne or Shane. Shane isn’t so bad, but my wife doesn’t like John Wayne so much and he’s done so many it’s hard for me to pinpoint something that really stands above the rest.

Ideas?

Ride the High Country

Sam Peckinpah before he got all violent n’ shit.

High Noon

I loved True Grit, but there is the John Wayne all over the place element.

Little Big Man is awesome and funny

High Noon is one of my all time favorite westerns. Starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly, the movie depicts the plight of a small town sheriff who must face a gang alone, after abandoned by the towns people. Holds up really well.

If you go for any John Wayne, The Searchers is probably your best bet.

Not technically the Golden age, but if you’re in the mood for Westerns, I highly recommend The Proposition. It’s even in the consideration for my movie club pick.

I’d recommend The Wild Bunch from the 60s.

Once Upon a time in the West is amazing. Henry Fonda as the blue eyed villian!

winchester 73

I’ll second the recommendation for High Noon. Also, Once Upon A Time In The West is kind of slow, but it has an awesome musical score. I’d rather listen to the soundtrack again than actually watch the movie.

Any western by John Ford.

Of course many of his most notable westerns also have John Wayne, but I can think of a couple off the top of my head. Drums Along the Mowhawk, which was Ford’s first color movie, and My Darling Clementine, which is his telling of the OK corral, and has some of his famous Monument Valley shots.

Of course his best Western is The Searchers, but it also has Wayne, but you should still watch it anyway.

Two John Wayne westerns stand out in the classic era: The Searchers (directed by John Ford, 1956) and Rio Bravo (directed by Howard Hawks). You’ve got The Duke in two terrific, epic stories directed by two of the best American directors of the day. Be forewarned: The Searchers especially has some pretty fucked up dialogue concerning Native Americans, stuff of the sort you don’t hear in movies nowadays…but which was probably not too far from accurate for the period.

I’ll second the recommend for Little Big Man. One of my ten favorite movies ever.

Finally…how in hell has this thread gotten this far without someone mentioning The Magnificent Seven? Absolutely first-rate stuff, unafraid to go from high comedy to mindless violence and real pathos. Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, and Yul Brenner were never any cooler onscreen than here. Purists like to poo-poo this film as a second-rate remake of Kurosawa’s epic, but this film–like that other movie based on one of the Japanese director’s masterworks–stands well on its own, and is in every way at least as entertaining as the movie it was based on.

just about any mann/stewart is watchable

bend of the river
naked spur
far country
man from laramie
winchester 73

Once Upon a Time in the West is excellent. Leone’s Dollars trilogy was just a warmup by comparison. Epic filmmaking, with strong performances, sweeping vistas, and the score Ennio Morricone was born to write.

I will also echo the recommendations for High Noon and Little Big Man (though the latter isn’t from your so-called golden age).

The Searchers is also quite good, though some people have trouble with its racist overtones. Which makes it an excellent companion to Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks’ loving, affection satire of the genre, which turns racism on its head.

Finally, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is great fun.

This doesn’t really help if all you want are classic westerns from the 50s, except for High Noon and The Searchers. But you could do far, far worse.

If you’re willing to go a bit more modern you should check out Lonesome Dove. It has some of Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones’ best work and probably was the high point of the genre until Deadwood arrived.

Chisolm, John Chisolm. Wearyyyy, saddle sooooore!

I won’t add anything here, as all I know are Spaghetti Westerns. Man, do I love them. The two Sergios are obvious directors to watch, but there are some other good Zapata Westerns, even if they’re formulaic.

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you folks for some help.

I added a ton of Westerns to my Netflix queue. I think High Noon was the one I was thinking of, but I’m pleased to have so many to put in my queue. Mann and Stewart seem like the big alternative to Wayne, although I can’t imagine not watching at least one John Wayne Western, even if my wife sits that one out (for the children).

I am trying to stick with older movies for now, but the 60s suggestions for Westerns are fabulous. Once we get through some of these older movies, we’re going to tackle some of the grittier 60s and 70s stuff. I have never even seen Little Big Man, but it might be a nice counterpoint once we get through some of the classics. If it’s comedy, that seems like a good pick, especially on the other side of some of these more serious thriller pieces.

Is My Darling Clementine and High Noon the same plot, different actors? The story seems similar. I am sure I’ve seen High Noon, but I thought it involved a shoot out at the OK Corral?

Good call on Wild Bunch. I loved The Proposition. That’d be a great club pick.

Unforgiven, but to really appreciate it you need to have seen all of the top old westerns.

The Searchers is probably hands-down the best western ever made. Racist, but “illuminating” racism that gives you insight, for lack of a better term.

You just shot an unarmed man.

Well, he should’a armed himself.

I second (or maybe third) Once Upon a Time in the West. Great movie.

Did anyone mention Magnificent Seven? That’s a lot of fun.

How about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence? Good Jimmy Stewart movie with Lee Marvin in it.

And speaking of Lee Marvin, how about him in a double role in Cat Ballou? That’s a lot of fun too. Lee Marvin won Best Actor Oscar for his role as Kid Shelleen. He’s hilarious.

Another vote for Rio Bravo. Especially if you’re going to see the anti-American manifesto of filth that is High Noon. If you see that, you’ll need John Wayne’s ultra-American Rio Bravo to cleanse your soul.