Asthma Castle - Mount Crushmore
Mother of Millions - Artifacts
East of the Wall - NP-Complete
Architects of Aeon - Koloss
Seax - Fallout Rituals
Hath - Of Rot and Ruin
Inferi - End of an Era

Oh hey it’s that time of the month!

A bit of a slower one for me as I went without music for 10 days, and spent too much time addicted to last month’s Ultra Silvam album. But there were still a couple killer releases in my usual categories…

In particular, Greece’s Akrotheism who take the top spot with their mesmorising blend of smothering atmosphere, dissonance, and memorable hooks.

And Inculter is probably going to be the thrash album of the year, slick with riffs. :)

Akrotheism - Law of Seven Deaths (black)

Inculter - Fatal Visions (thrash)

Murg - Strävan (black)

Hath - Of Rot and Ruin (death)

AntropomorphiA - Merciless Savagery (death)

Yup. That worked for me.

Not that it’s exactly metal, but apparently the release date of August 30th is finally official for the new Tool album.

Wooo!

Bloodywood fucking rules. I wanna fight something now!

Just look at that tour poster: Ganesha tearing up a T-55, how cool is that :D

So one of the local X-wing players has a radio show, and I’m guesting in next week. Anyhow 3 hours, and I’m picking as many favorites as I can (I may do a second show that’s more random).

Anyhow there was a strong temptation to pick this song…

I went for Keelhauled instead. Mainly because I would not have been able to not crack up uncontrollably.

I dare any of you to be angry after listening to that. Alestorm is good for that.

oh thank you man, thank you for that! I needed that :D

I love Alestorm.
My gf hates Alestorm.
Thus I can only listen when she’s not here.

Or loudly let Alestorm proclaim that “she’s a fucking wanker, and she’s gonna get fucked with a fuckin’ anchor” :D

Heh. I often roll Bolt Thrower in the car. It sounds so right. My son (6yo) loves it as well, especially when I brake for a light in pulses, making our heads bob to the noise. So the other day I heard the little dude screaming and yelling.

I asked him what the fuck was up? You hurt yourself? You angry? What?
Naw dad, I was screaming “metal metal hell death”. Don’t you like singing when you’re playing?

yup. He also does that in the playground. Not sure if ashamed or proud. I thought those were opposites, but they can apparently coexist just fine.

I’ve had this on repeat of late. Really digging it.

There’s also a new Amon Amarth album out. Not really my cup of tea these days but I know there’s some fans here. Who likely are already listening to it. :)

I mostly stick with clean vocals when listening with my kids, but they’ve heard just enough death metal to find the vocal style hilarious (especially to scare each other with). Of course, they don’t know the words, so they just use other songs they’re already familiar with to belt out with death metal vocals at the top of their lungs. Recent choices include “Happy Birthday”, “A Whole New World”, and “Lookin’ Out My Back Door”.

Yep. I think it’s generally a return to form after the lackluster Jomsviking, but still much of a muchness with their back catalog.

Yeah they were pretty big with me for the first decade of the 2000s. I remember Versus the World being quite the revelation. With Oden On Our Side and Twilight of the Thunder God I’d count amongst my other faves of theirs.

Then with Surtur Rising I got tired of the formula. If they released something really special or different I’d be back!

Ok this friggin cracked me up

My favorite metal! (this is metal right?) Pardon my linking ignorance but ….

Yeah mostly. They are not cleanly slotted into any one genre, but if I were forced to chose one then Prog Metal is as good as any.

I love them, one of the few popular bands I still listen to.

(I am getting older lol) (but thanks!)

Always loved the song, but never realized it was so obsessively math nerding.

Kind of interesting at least.

Lars doesn’t miss the beat all the time like this. I did like the way the guy did a good Lars behavior impression though.