Recommend me some quality Metal

Children of Bodom at Event Center @ San Jose State - GIGANTOUR
Date/Time: Monday May 19, 2008
from their myspace page

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Good lord. This thread is like Christmas morning, my birthday, Halloween, and a punch to the face while the fist and my face are on FIRE.

I really dig the fast and heavy prog/power metal style of Redemption (plus Ray Alder is one of my favorite vocalists):

Primordial have a really great epic/folk feel to their stuff. Their newest album To the Nameless Dead is fantastic as well:

Quo Vadis is a great technical death metal band from Canada:
http://www.myspace.com/quovadis1

I don’t recall whether or not I saw Shadows Fall mentioned. They have some really good metal. Not a bad band at all:

Finally, any discussion of metal that leaves out one of the preeminent extreme metal bands, Strapping Young Lad, just seems incomplete to me. Equal parts brutality with tongue-in-cheek humor for the win:

I have to agree with a bunch of the others mentioned here as well: Meshuggah, Nevermore, Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, In Flames, Soilwork, Fear Factory, Opeth, The Dillinger Escape Plan. Lots of good music there.

A little Folk Metal goes a long way (IMO) and Amon Amarth has already been mentioned, but this is:

FINNTROLL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYbc7IJagGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vumjWdqYQ&feature=related

(also BlueDev is right, Strapping Young Lad is nice yo)

Okay, now I’m just messing around -

Spongebob metal videos

Black Dahlia Murder

Job for a Cowboy

I’m pretty sure that was me that recommended it. Glad to hear you liked We’ve Come For You All because as far as I’m concerned that’s the best contemporary metal album of the last five years.

That’s one of the reasons I’m so excited for Anthrax’ next project. Rob Caggiano is back with Ian, Frankie and Charlie. Essentially the same lineup as WCFYA minus Bush. Caggiano is the best lead player they’ve ever had, better than Spitz. The next record should be killer.

John Bush Anthrax is very different from Joey Belladonna Anthrax. I played “Poison My Eyes” for a friend of mine back when I first heard it and said, “I didn’t know Anthrax was this good.”

“They’re not,” he responded. He was as astonished as I was.

I grew up on Metallica and Anthrax, and I’ll put in another vote for Symphony X.

Here are a couple more.

I know they were already mentioned, but I seem to recall it was somewhat tangentially. Gojira are really, really awesome. From Mars to Sirius was definately one of the best albums of 2005 IMO:

Made Out of Babies are pretty much as odd and disturbing as you would guess by their name. Very black humor. And Julie Christmas is pretty much the most insane female vocalist I have heard.

If you like Made Out of Babies, but would like something a little less metal (just a little), but a bit more progressive and experimental in the Post-Rock vein, then Julie’s other band Battle of Mice are excellent and worth checking out:

You should also check out the album Pink by Boris. They’re a Japanese band and their music is kinda sludgy and a lot of fun to listen to. Especially at loud volumes!

Pink isn’t really very metal - it’s more in the vein of extremely loud psych/garage rock, like the MC5 turned up to eleven. Their earlier releases like Absolute Ego and Amplifier Worship (the latter being the best name for a record I’ve ever heard) are more overtly metal, although metal of a Melvins-style doom & drone stripe. (They actually took their name from the Melvins song, “Boris”, from the Bullhead album.) If you like Pink, though, check out Heavy Rocks and Akuma no Uta which are very similar.

That said, anybody who likes loud music - and I mean loud - should check them out. Pink was easily my favourite record of 2006, and much of their catalogue is as good. Be warned, though, that they also release a lot of pretty extreme experimental music. Luckily, they use a system for distinguishing the releases - if the album is by BORIS, in all caps, it’s more of a rock record; if it’s boris in lower-case, it’s something weirder.

As you can probably tell, I’m a fan.

I’m more into the earlier works: Number of the beast, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time. Although I was quite impressed by their latest album: A matter of live and death.

Gojira and Made Out of Babies are regulars on my workout music rotation.

Made out of Babies reminds me Pain Teens (if anyone remembers Pain Teens) Gutshoveler and Sugar are crazy good songs, I’m amazed that chick’s voice is not destroyed. I’ll check her other band.

Pink is their most accessable album, its really really good. They can do it all. I generally their stuff is more 20 min dronescapes. They have collaborated with Sunn O))), that gives you an idea.

Trash Rockin Boris - http://youtube.com/watch?v=bb14rWGRYp4

Stoner Boris - http://youtube.com/watch?v=tb0xkgE97b8&feature=related

Drone Boris with Sunn O))) http://youtube.com/watch?v=yu0HQ755dpw

On the drone tip I saw an Earth and Sunn O))) double bill a few months ago, pretty amazing stuff. Earth was quiet and dreamy (in a good way), like a phone call from an old lover you are still friends with but never talk to anymore. Sunn O))) was like vision of your own death, if you were torn apart by slow moving crows (also in a good way).

Was Bill Frisell playing with Earth? He plays a bit on the new album, so I was curious if he’d tour with them.

See, I haven’t heard a lot of Gojira, which is why I only briefly mentioned them earlier in the thread. I think the song I heard that I liked most was called Whales or something like that. That was heavy and fantastic. Is all their stuff like that?

Oh, and LK, thanks for the fix on Somewhere in Time. Growing up I got a lot of my music from casettes that friends made for me (or that I would copy off of my own LPs). As a result, I often didn’t know the real name of songs/albums that I really liked. I would listen to them over and over anyway ;).

I also think Live After Death has plenty of the aspect of Maiden that you mentioned. A lot of stuff from Powerslave and Number of the Beast are on there. Revelations is a great song live, too. Or at least recorded live. I’ve never actually seen Maiden live, which is a shame.

I was the same way, I just happened to look it up in my itunes under my blob of maiden. I always get a kick out of going home and digging up old boxes of cassettes with illegible labels to play in the car at random.

I also think Live After Death has plenty of the aspect of Maiden that you mentioned. A lot of stuff from Powerslave and Number of the Beast are on there. Revelations is a great song live, too. Or at least recorded live. I’ve never actually seen Maiden live, which is a shame.

I will defer to your expertise. A lot of my fondness for A Real Live One is probably just nostalgia, and not any particular comparative superiority. The first time I heard Bring Me Your Daughter… and Fear Of The Dark live, the experience melted my face. Also, I’m partial to the 7th Son songs which I think are great across the board, but suffer from the recording quality of the original studio album in their original incarnations, and that was my intro to how they they were meant to sound before some studio monkey decided to muffle the recording or something.

I’m going to guess it was “Flying Whales” off From Mars to Sirius. Fabulous song. And, yeah, the rest of their stuff is pretty much like that.

I agree. That’s what I like about Live After Death. The sound quality seems BETTER than the studio albums, which have always felt a little flat to me, even the older ones (possible exceptions are the first two albums, oddly enough, when the budget was smaller). Hearing Number of the Beast live just sounds better to me.

I’ll have to check out Real Live One though. I thought 7th Son was a good album, but I didn’t listen much because of the exact reasons you mentioned. Sounds like we have similar tastes (I don’t like Van Halen either), so I’ll keep an eye out for it. I need to get some Maiden on CD. I don’t think I have any right now. For some reason, it’s hard for me to buy CDs of things I used to have on casette. I feel ripped off, even if I can afford to do it.

That’s the one. I heard it on Hard Attack and loved it. It just pounds. Fantastic riff and very simple. Sounds like I need that CD. This thread is going to break me financially.

That’s the one. I heard it on Hard Attack and loved it. It just pounds. Fantastic riff and very simple. Sounds like I need that CD. This thread is going to break me financially.

Though it starts to lean away from metal and a bit more toward hardcore, I’ve become a big fan of Modern Life is War – particularly the latest album.

No, I wouldn’t know him by sight so I googled him up some and I did not recognize him. There was a guy with those little gold rimmed glasses playing guitar but he was a lot younger than Bill is.

Several members of Earth did don the Monk’s robes and play with Sunn O))) though. :)))))

Hey speaking of bands that should be mentioned - Clutch

And does anyone else think the lead singer of Strapping Young Lad looks like Larry David?