Recommendations for PC controllers to play Street Fighter IV?

So I bought a new video card and it had a coupon for a free copy of SFIV, but right now I have two options, play with the keyboard or dig out my PSX USB adapter and see if the game will recognize my gen1 dualshock. I have seen there are Madcatz six button controllers, and I have heard that the Xbox 360 or PS3 fight-stick controllers may work on the PC (one or the other is supposedly preferred due to some host controller driver issues?).

Has anyone picked up a dedicated fight controller for PC? What do you think of it?

We use the Microsoft wireless Xbox 360 controller in our household. Works great, especially since it’s natively supported in SF-IV beause of GFWL.

The 360 directional pads are not precise enough for fighting games in my experience. The MadCatz controllers sound decent from what I have read. I have been using the PS3 Virtua Stick High Grade with SF4 PC, and highly recommend it.

I use Xbox 360 Madcatz FightPads, which are great. Standard wired or wireless 360 controllers also work (you’ll need a special receiver for wireless), though the d-pad on them is terrible, to the extent that the analog sticks are preferable.

Ive always just used the $15 - $20 logitech dual action for rom play and games requiring a controller (racing games, SF4). It’s served me well. One day Ill get a stick but for now, cheap logitech controller works great and has been for 3 years now.

hori makes a sweet wired 360 controller with a nice dpad and 6 face buttons.

I have a SFIV PS3 tournament stick.

get a USB saturn pad off ebay. The usually come from hong kong and run 15-20 dollars. Look for one with a SRS sticker on the back, there are a lot of knock offs out there.

I don’t know how people are recommending the SF4 pad, its only marginally better than 360 controller. They both feature the ‘pad on a post’ horribly flawed dpad.

Alternatively, any PS3 or 360 arcade stick can be used via usb.

Well depending on what you want to spend you can do an arcade like setup fairly cheap.

I agree with this. Best fighting game pad IMO and very cheap.

All 360 controllers should work without issue (as mentioned above, wireless needs the wireless receiver though). I have a 360 Hori EX2 fight stick for 360 SF4 and occasional emulated PC fighting, which works very well. I’m sure the more expensive sticks are better but this is a solid one for the normal player (like me). Only 6 big buttons though, with a 7th in reach (and an 8 placed away from where you could use it mid-fight). The cheapest Mad Catz stick has 8 big buttons, but costs a bit more.

The keyboard is the most precise controller for playing this game.

If you prefer a pad go for what Angrycoder says. This is easily the best pad for playing SF.

If you want a stick, DON’T buy a PS3 MadCatz stick. They don’t work on all chipsets. XBox360 MadCatz sticks work on any PC.
That said, I will take a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 over a MadCatz (TE or SE) anyday. PS3 HRAPs (and their SA and SE variants) also happen to be cheaper than MadCatz TE sticks and work flawlessly on PCs.

I use a Madcatz Street Fighter 4 pad for my 360 copy of SFIV, but I can’t guarantee it’ll work on a PC. I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work though, so it might be worth a little Google-fu. I would do it for you but I’m lazy.